VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 05:53:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I can't believe ...  (Read 3167 times)
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« on: September 03, 2009, 11:35:26 am »

... no one in this forum has ever asked for a vectorlinux.com email address Shocked.
It wouldn't just be a nice marketing tool, it would also be very cool Cool, and a lot of work for the webmaster(s) Embarrassed.

Has this ever been discussed? Could also be a way to "make some money" (if it's cheap enough, and "make some money" as in "donation with a different name"). Of course I would have to get one for free for having such a brilliant idea Cheesy!

VL Light 6.0 (Final built, 31/03/09, kernel 2.6.27.12).
Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
Registered Linux User no. 495460
Oh no! -> Tropic of Vector
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 11:38:54 am »

I'd probaly have to get a free one too...

henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 11:58:51 am »

Hm, it cannot be that hard to do. If only I had a little more time (and a little more knowledge), I'd set to it asap.

For the moment I'm busy chewing my way through the OS and trying to understand how it works.

Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 01:07:27 pm »

It's a good idea, but I don't know if there's the infrastructure and/or the volunteers to manage it.

I think that having an account xyz@vectorlinux.com should only be for:

1) People who donated to it
2) Devs or people who's contributions deserve giving him an account.

It'd be good to have it as a sign of honour in our community.

What do you think?!  It would be a way to incentivate users to contribute.

For example, if someone posts a wallpaper and it finally gets bundled into next VL, then you deserve an account. 
If you packaged more apps than everyone else this year, then you deserve an account.

henryxcrudos, keep ideas comming.  I think you're doing a great work thinking of ideas for promoting VL.  I've been reading your blog and commented some things in the appropiate posts.

Cya!

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 01:10:26 pm »

Totally agree with kidd

henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 12:57:42 am »

Yup, that's exactly what I meant. Don't chuck 'em out to everyone. I guess the people that are most active and contribute most to VL are the same people that are most visible in "web activities" related to VL on other sites and in real life anyway. Thus a few people with VL.com email addresses might have more impact than a whole bunch of random (perhaps incative) users with addresses, who on top cost a whole lot of administration (and probably even money).

Thanks, kidd!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 01:07:02 am by henryxcrudos » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: