VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 10:11:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Turning off unnecessary processes in Vector SOHO  (Read 1452 times)
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« on: July 04, 2009, 06:54:03 am »

Hi again. I'm running Vector 5.9 SOHO in 256 MB of RAM, and at the moment Gkrellm is showing between 96% and 98% whilst the CPU indicator shows between 72 and 76 processes running. As a result there are a few quirks in evidence, for example the screen is slow to update and the text I'm typing in here takes a couple of seconds to appear.

Is it possible to turn any of these processes off whilst leaving usability unaffected, and if so, which ones?

(Similar questions are in prospect if and when I install Vector Standard soon, and get back to Vector Light).

Thanks in advance,

Colonel Panic .
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 06:55:53 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 10:25:36 am »

Are you using KDE as your desktop manager? I ran SOHO on an old PIII/450 with 198 MB of ram, but used IceWM instead of KDE. The system flew and had no issues.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 11:54:02 pm »

Thanks for your reply. No, I thought of that myself and thus run SOHO in Fluxbox (which I like anyway so it's no hardship for me to do that).
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 06:21:13 am »

"Similar questions" have arisen unfortunately; it's jamming up completely in 6.0 Standard with either Seamonkey or Firefox running and two or three windows open, though not always.

Might Python (which Chestnut Dialer runs on top of) be the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Colonel Panic.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 01:32:30 am »

Bumped (sorry, but it's happened again and in Vector Standard).
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 05:04:24 am »

When this happens, open a terminal and run command "top". The offending process should be on the top of the list.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 05:16:12 am »

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately "jamming up" means exactly that; no inputs are accepted from either the keyboard or the mouse, so you can't open up a terminal or do anything else at the time it's happened. The computer becomes useless - all you can do is switch it off and start again.

I'm trying to prevent it from happening in the first place.

Regards,

Colonel Panic.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:22:15 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 08:25:03 am »

In that case, your problem is different than that of the OP. Start a new thread for your issue. If you can figure out the pattern (programs, web sites) that produce your lockups, that may give you some clue where to look.

For the OP, I still recommend using top to look for the runaway process.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 09:06:14 am »

Thanks again. I've run top as you suggest, and all the processes at the top of the list (excuse the pun) are essential programs which I can't easily remove except for python (upon which chestnut-dialer runs) which I suspect is causing the problem (as chestnut-dialer is the only program which locks up). I've killed python, which I don't need now chestnut-dialer's made the connection, and I'll see if I have any more problems; if I do, I'll start a new thread.

Colonel Panic.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: