VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 06:44:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 6.0 delux will not boot (solved)  (Read 6945 times)
MO9013
Vectorite

« on: July 06, 2009, 10:44:56 am »

i posted the other day on another heading so i well go through the short version here. uncle gave me his computer with 5.8 soho on it. wanted to put lime wire on it and was told about 6.0.  so decided to upgrade. i helped my uncle install 5.8 awhile back so i thought i could do it.  i installed 6.0 deluxe and now im getting a black screen after the boot screen when it says going to gui mode.

it took me 5 times to get to that point.  the first two times i get error messages because i was playing space invaders.  then two time i got this gray screen don't know what i did there.  i do like the install setup but i think it could have bin a little more informative.  i guessed at some things and used the old settings where i could.  the only partition i formatted was the "/" partition the rest i left alone from the original setup. 

i don't know what else i could tell you to help me. 

thanks
mike
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 08:57:21 am by MO9013 » Logged
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 11:18:34 am »

6.0 was the first version to use the gui installer.  I like it. Intuitive and flexible, but it was also the first run, so it may have some glitches which on some machines makes it less reliable.

I do have some screencasts on the new installer...

http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/01.Installation/vl60-gui-install-basic/vl60-gui-install-basic.htm
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/01.Installation/modify-parition-dedicated/modify-partition-dedicated.htm

Here is the youtube version..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l_X90fKOE8

If, you remember from 5.8 how to use the text installer you can still use that by typing linux at the first command prompt after you boot from the cd.

edwarben89 made this youtube video for the text installer.
note: I don't think the voice and video are in sync on this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLF8J1fBoso
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:22:40 am by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
MO9013
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:11:06 pm »

thank you for the information.  i did it just like the screen shot did for the most part.  im going to try and reinstall it but this time try things a little different like click the add boot options and auto configure the monitor.

i do like the new setup but the only thing i dint know about was the file systems.  it didn't explain what they each did so i didn't format the partitions, or that i could change the computers name. 

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 12:27:09 pm »

i do like the new setup but the only thing i dint know about was the file systems.  it didn't explain what they each did so i didn't format the partitions, or that i could change the computers name. 

Do you have any questions the screencast didn't touch on?  Also, during set-up I strongly recommend checking the option box for the text user interface.  That way if you have video problems you can still launch to the text mode and use vxconf as root from the text command line.

I'm home for a couple more hours so I should be able to respond quickly if you have a question.

MO9013
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 12:58:04 pm »

no the screen shot was great i was talking about the gui installer.  it didn't tell you about the difference in file formats and that you could change the name of the computer.

i just tried again this time using the text installer and i still come up with the same problem with the boot up dying after it tells me its going to gui.  well this time it also said in red that im working as root then the screen dies. 

ill try reinstalling and checking the box for text interface.

ok just got done a new install and got the same problem.  after i type in the user then the password it goes to the blank screen.  tried something this time. turned off the monitor and turned it back on and it tells me no signal check cable. when i hit the power button it goes back to screen and goes through the normal boot down screen. hope that might help. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 01:35:00 pm by MO9013 » Logged
MO9013
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 09:41:10 am »

tried some things went into vasm and messed around in there with no success.  i decided to install 5.8 agan so i could burn a new install cd and i had the same problem with a note saying that my screen hz were wrong.  i changed to a different screen in vasm and it worked but still had to change the hz in the desktop setup to 60 from 75 because the screen was shaky.  that got me thinking.  is there a way to set up the screen manually in vasm where i could set the size and hz.  at the moment im reinstalling 6.0 with the new cd and no problems so far.  one thing though.  i did notese that when i clicked the box for additional boot up i only got linux and tui.  i didnt get the gui option when i installed using the gui installer. 
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 09:54:28 am »

i did notese that when i clicked the box for additional boot up i only got linux and tui.  i didnt get the gui option when i installed using the gui installer.
I think you have set up for a dual boot on your computer.  Is this right?  If you are setting up for a dual boot this is normal. Choosing linux should give you the graphical boot-up.

In Vasm under the xwindow category you can change screen sizing and such with the utility there.  For hz changes you may have to do them directly in the etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Sorry this has been such a hassle for you. Stick in there. Sounds like you are really figuring out how to find your way around the OS on the plus side. Smiley

MO9013
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 12:02:23 pm »

it did say i have to go to that /etc/x11/xorg.config file to change the hz.  i tried getting to it from text mode but it would tell me bad command or that its a directory.  oh well ill keep on trying. and im not duel booting. there is only vector on that computer.  im just lucky to have an other computer that i can use while im trying to get it running.
i can get gui tui and Linux choices if i install with the text mode but not the gui installer.  the thing is in text mode i cant add my pre existing users.  when i try it cancels out on me and restarts the install.  even in the gui installer it will only let me set up one of the users and not the other.  it tells me that it cant be done.  well something along those lines.  i figured i could just go into root when i get everything running and add the other users from there. 
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 05:26:53 pm »

In order to edit that file you need to use a text editor.

The way to do that is at the command prompt as root type

mcedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

You can then edit the file. Then to save press f2 and then f10 to
exit the editor.

Bigpaws
MO9013
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 01:48:08 pm »

ok  that's how you do it.  i wasn't adding the mcedit in the front.  i tried to go thought the mc option in the list of choices but when i typed in the file it wouldn't do anything.  ill let you know if it work ill try it now.

just a side note i was wandering if the niiler that is in the credits when you installing the same niiler that thought my uncle at west chseter.  he had a physics teacher named niiler and he was the one that actually got him into vector.  just thought i ask. 
MO9013
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 02:15:39 pm »

ok  well that didn't work as well as i thought.  still getting the blank screen after i type startx.  it goes through some scrolling and right as it should go to the linux screen the monitor light flashes like it dose when the monitor is turned off through the computer.  key board doesn't work as well.  the only way i can shut it down is by pushing the power button.  when i do that the screen comes back and goes through the normal boot down. 

its just weird that 5.8 soho had no problems but 6 is.  oh well if anyone has any ideas i would shore like to get them. 
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 03:04:35 pm »

The problem maybe that xorg file is not setup properly.

Please attach a copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log
so that we maybe to look at it.

Also post the output of

/sbin/lspci | grep VGA

That will show what video card  you  have.

Bigpaws
MO9013
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 04:56:06 am »

here it is Bigpaws

root:# /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    permission denied

root:# /sbin/lspci | grep VGA
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI technologies inc radeon r350 [radeon 9800 pro]

and is there a way i could copy and past the file readouts to a pen drive so i don't have to type everything out on this computer. 

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 07:15:27 am by MO9013 » Logged
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 08:39:56 am »

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log >> /mnt/drive/filename

So a real example

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log >> /mnt/pendrive/xorg.txt

Bigpaws
MO9013
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 09:59:47 am »

ok  i will try that when the read outs get to much to type out Bigpaws. 
now what about the permission denied for the /var/log/Xorg.0.log.   is there away around it.  im in root when i try to get to it.  do i have to be in a special place or is there something i have to change. 

i tried to send a file to my pen drive and it didn't work. it read the file doesn't exist.  is there a way to find out where my pen drive is docked so i can send the file to it.  also if i just type in cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log i get a read out.  there is allot to it and this is all that i can read because i cant scroll up to the beginning.

(II)radeon(0):I2C decice "DVI-0:ddc2"removed
(II)radeon(0):I2C decice "DVI-0:ddc2"registered at address 0xA0
(II)radeon(0):I2C decice "DVI-0:ddc2"registered at address 0xA0
(II)radeon(0):Output:DVI-0, Detected Monitor type:0
(II)radeon(0): Detected non-DDC Monitor type:0
disable montype:1
(II)radeon(0): RADEONRestoreMemMapRegisters() :
(II)radeon(0):  MC_FB_LOCATION   :0x1fff000 0xdfffd800
(II)radeon(0):  MC_AGP_LOCATION :0x27ff2000
finished PLL2