VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 01:14:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lan Sharing  (Read 1608 times)
StrayBit
Vectorite

« on: July 06, 2009, 01:51:18 pm »

Like a 'bad penny', I just keep coming back!  Don't often get to play with the machines, but it is a bit to warm to be working in the sun.

Have just resurected an HP Pavilion PII 400MHz, 384MB.  Good thing too: both the original VL box and the Win98 box are out - the latter because I filled the disk too full!  Shocked  Currently have deskpro (renamed from compaq), Armada (Win98) and now pavilion.  The two are running VL6 Gold.  Deskpro had the patch to share folders.  I'll have to locate that again to configure deskpro. (Or maybe not?)

The three are hardwired to a Linksys WAP/DHCP Server which shares the wireless broadband (I haven't succesfully connected to it by wireless yet):
   WAP:      192.168.1.1
   deskpro   192.168.1.4   {static}
   pavilion  192.168.1.6   {static}
   armada    192.168.1.101 {dhcp}

Samba.conf on both have "security = share". Using vlsmbmnt, both VL6's can see the three shares plus IPC Service on pavilion and the one share on armada_150 plus Remote Inter Process Communication but nothing from deskpro.

From deskpro:
Code:
bruce:$ vlsmbmnt
Rescan
Mounting [\\PAVILION\public] at [/home/bruce/mnt/PAVILION-public]
Mount/Unmount
Mounting [\\ARMADA_150\C] at [/home/bruce/mnt/ARMADA_150-C]
mount error 112 = Host is down
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
quit
I didn't try to mount pavilion on pavilion but armada gave
Code:
Mounting [\\ARMADA_150\C] at [/home/bruce/mnt/ARMADA_150-C]
mount error: could not find target server. TCP name ARMADA_150/C not found
No ip address specified and hostname not found
Armada can see both VLs, open a share on pavilion but errors on trying to go into deskpro (Only the computer is shown, none of the shares!)

While this is a huge step forward, do I need to reinstall VL6 on deskpro to get it to allow its shares to be opened?  Or does some one have a suggestion as to how I can proceed?

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 05:42:51 am »

Oh! Ohh!  Just received a message of imminent hd failure!  So, I will wind up reinstalling - AFTER i get a new(er) drive.  Fortunately, pavilion is working well except audio is in spurts, perhaps because it is a PII MMX?

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: