VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: streaming Youtube / Totem  (Read 2845 times)

Bronko

streaming Youtube / Totem
« on: July 08, 2009, 03:17:33 am »

Hello!

Do any of you know a media player that is like Totem capable of searching for & streaming/playback of videos from Youtube?

I could not find any but this feature is incredibly useful for me. I don't want to live without it after switching from Ubuntu, as I used my Laptop as videoplayer connected to a TV. Unfortunately the Totem version available via GSLAPT is outdated and does not contain the Youtube-plugin. I tried to compile more recent versions but was always confronted with unsatisfied dependencies. Besides that I am quite new to Linux and don't have a real idea about how to get it done.

Would someone capable be willing to package a new version of Totem with the Youtube-plugin?

kidd

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: streaming Youtube / Totem
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 03:18:39 am »

Maybe VLC can do it

Btw, Welcome to vl

Bronko

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 03:43:55 am »

Maybe VLC can do it

Well, yes, playback. But I would have to manually extract the url of each *.flv which is not quite convenient...  :(

The big advantage of Totem over the Youtube website/flashplayer is that it integrates search, playlist and playback.

Pita

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 06:57:41 pm »

I installed gnome-2.26.1 with the latest totem. You can find it here even with 2.26.3.

http://www.slacky.eu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2475

I too like Totem