VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 04:54:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3g-modem??  (Read 10580 times)
Headhunter

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2008, 10:54:56 pm »

why not complie the working part in network manager 0.7 that work just fine in the latest gnome in ubuntu 8.10..
I think it could be the easyest way.. But i cant compile. Otherwise I had done it  by now...

Grin Grin Grin  crack it apart and se how it works...
Headhunter

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2008, 12:00:01 am »

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/NetworkManager/

Why can't we just install it??

It should be the easyest way...

Or port it to vector....

Plz try someone.. the nm-applet in ubuntu is so easy to use...

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2008, 04:23:49 am »

why not complie the working part in network manager 0.7 that work just fine in the latest gnome in ubuntu 8.10.

I might be wrong, but maybe the gnome network manager would give you the same problems as you're having...  It doesn't seem to me that your problem of not having a /dev/tty device (or something similar) when plugging the modem can be solved by network manager, which is just a frontend to, well, manage networks...

(I could try to compile it at some point in time, but am too busy to build packages these days)

Obviously, Ubuntu is doing something right, because your modem works there but not in Vector. But I doubt it's as simple as installing network manager. I think if you used wvdialconf and wvdial in Ubuntu it would also work. You can try... if it works it would show you that it is nothing to do with network manager, but with something else that is different between ubuntu and vector (but again, I might be wrong).

I understand that you think the nm-applet is the simpler way, but to me nothing could be simpler than typing wvdialconf, inserting the username and password in the file, and starting the connection by typing wvdial. At least I find it simpler than having a running applet all the time. Of course, provided your modem is correctly detected, which is what is not happening.

I'm trying to help, but you need to be a bit more clear in your posts and tell us what outputs you're getting. I'm starting to lose track of whether you're using the E169 or the E220 when you try something...
So again, I ask: there was one modem that gave you the proper output in /var/log/messages (the E220, I think?). What do you get when you run wvdialconf as root with this modem? Is it the same or different as with the other modem?
Unless you really want to use one modem and not the other in Vector, it's best to start with the one most likely to work... hey, at least you would have an internet connection.
Headhunter

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2008, 04:26:02 pm »

Yes I have wifi working but i still want 3g-modem to work becaurce on my work there no internet so iwant i there..

Im new in porting so it is derfor a problem for me to give you good feedback.. you have to give me the way to do it so i can give you moore info about my outputs....  Im useing ubuntu-live now so that i can post this.. yes with 3g-modem connection..

1. give me commands that will give me output that you can use..
2. ive gonna try to post them as they come....

and i hope we togather can solve this..

reg..

Headhunter.....
Headhunter

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2008, 04:50:28 pm »

I've tried the tail stuff that someone earlier told me on my live-dvd with ubuntu on and get this if it helps??

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ tail -f /var/log/messages
Nov 11 00:52:26 ubuntu pppd[7964]: pppd 2.4.4 started by root, uid 0
Nov 11 00:52:26 ubuntu pppd[7964]: Using interface ppp0
Nov 11 00:52:26 ubuntu pppd[7964]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyUSB0
Nov 11 00:52:26 ubuntu pppd[7964]: CHAP authentication succeeded
Nov 11 00:52:26 ubuntu pppd[7964]: CHAP authentication succeeded
Nov 11 00:52:29 ubuntu pppd[7964]: Could not determine remote IP address: defaulting to 10.64.64.64
Nov 11 00:52:29 ubuntu pppd[7964]: local  IP address 78.156.196.122
Nov 11 00:52:29 ubuntu pppd[7964]: remote IP address 10.64.64.64
Nov 11 00:52:29 ubuntu pppd[7964]: primary   DNS address 80.251.201.177
Nov 11 00:52:29 ubuntu pppd[7964]: secondary DNS address 80.251.201.178

and..

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ wvdialconf
Editing `/etc/wvdial.conf'.

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

WvModem<*1>: Cannot set information for serial port.
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 9600 baud, next try: 115200 baud
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- and failed too at 115200, giving up.
Modem Port Scan<*1>: S1   S2   S3   
ttyUSB0<Info>: Device or resource busy
Modem Port Scan<*1>: USB0
WvModem<*1>: Cannot get information for serial port.
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- Manufacturer: huawei
ttyUSB1<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: Max speed is 9600; that should be safe.
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK

Found a modem on /dev/ttyUSB1.
Modem configuration written to /etc/wvdial.conf.
/etc/wvdial.conf<Warn>: Can't write '/etc/wvdial.conf.tmp9380': Permission denied
/etc/wvdial.conf<Warn>: Can't write '/etc/wvdial.conf' ('/etc/wvdial.conf'): Bad file descriptor
ttyUSB1<Info>: Speed 9600; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"

Reg.

Thord
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 05:28:55 pm by Headhunter » Logged
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 04:31:00 am »

Have you checked the mfgr's site to see if they have any connect scripts. I use a Sierra 875u to connect to AT&T for internet and Sierra had scripts for linux to hook up through pppd. I have had no problem with VL detecting the modem on boot.

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 05:49:46 am »

Try running that as root... Normally, you have to be root to connect to the internet using these things because it has to modify some restricted files

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2008, 07:26:44 am »

Found a modem on /dev/ttyUSB1.
Modem configuration written to /etc/wvdial.conf.
/etc/wvdial.conf<Warn>: Can't write '/etc/wvdial.conf.tmp9380': Permission denied
/etc/wvdial.conf<Warn>: Can't write '/etc/wvdial.conf' ('/etc/wvdial.conf'): Bad file descriptor
ttyUSB1<Info>: Speed 9600; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"

Like M0E, said, you need to run wvdialconf as root, in order to write the configuration file in the /etc directory.
If, in Ubuntu, you then open the file /etc/wvdial.conf and write the phone number, username, and password in the appropriate lines, you should then be able to connect by simply typing "wvdial" in a terminal.
My point is just that you don't need network manager to connect.

The problem is why vector isn't attaching the modem to /dev/ttyUSB... It looks like it is thinking of it as a storage device.
Three possible solutions (you might have tried them already, but give it another shot) :

1. It seems vl-hot is having a go at mounting the device. Try going to VasmCC and switching the mounter from "vl-hot" to "hal". I don't know if it would make a difference, but it's worth a shot.

2. If even with hal, you don't get the right /var/log/messages output, Rbistolfi has advised you to put a file in /etc/udev/rules.d/huawei.rules . That really might work.
Follow his instructions, but make sure that the vendor id and product code match your device (you can see those codes in usbview).

3. If that doesn't work, delete that file. Install usb_modeswitch again. Dowload it from the webpage and extract it. In the directory, do:
Code:
gcc -l usb -o usb_modeswitch usb_modeswitch.c
This will compile it. As root, copy the new executable called "usb_modeswitch" to /usr/sbin and the file called "usb_modeswitch.conf" to /etc
Usb_modeswitch has been tested with both the E220 and the E169. I've never used it, so I can't help more here.

These solutions can really help, as all we need is for /var/log/messages to show that the modem is attached.

Also, I will ask again: you have two modems, one E169 and one E220. One of them showed the right /var/log/messages output (from what you posted). That one should work with vector. Is this right?

All these solutions people have been posting are for the *other* modem (the one that doesn't say that it was attached to /dev/ttyUSB).
I'm sorry for insisting on this, but it would be helpful for us to know which modem we're talking about and which one works with vector. Then if other people see this thread, they know which model is easier to get to work.
Headhunter

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2008, 03:12:35 pm »

Hi everyone.
Thanx for all help, but i dident get any modems to work in vector. I switched to ubuntu again becauce it worked with both modems without any installing or configureating. It just worked plug n play. so i can't be of any help anymoore.. sorry.. 

The only modem that give me anything back was the huawei e220i.... and yes i was root when I tryed.
You can't configure anything in vector without being "ROOT"..

Later all...
mrms81

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2009, 04:39:56 am »

I used a Huawei E220 with my VL 5.9 standard , it detects the modem as a storage device. I tried to unload the usb storage module as suggested in one of the forums. It still detected it as a storage devise. It is detected automatically in Ubuntu 9.04 and works great in it. Is there any way of stoping VL from detecting it as a storage device (A SCSI device)

Thanx.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: