VectorLinux
July 23, 2014, 01:53:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WPA confusion  (Read 944 times)
KodeBlue

« on: July 10, 2009, 12:31:26 pm »

Hi,

I am trying to establish a wireless connection.  Using the Wireless Networking "How To", I have managed to connect to an unencrypted network at my local cafe.  At home, the network uses WPA encryption, and I am utterly confused as to how to set it up properly.

Also, I would like eventually to be able to use front-end applications and start the wireless at boot-up, but those are luxuries right now.  I just want to get online.

I see files for wpa_supplicant versions 4.8 and 4.9 in the , and I have files for version 4.7 in my home folder that I copied from elsewhere.  I am unsure, but I think the 4.9 version is actually installed (according to the Package Manager, anyway), but the only wpa_supplicant.conf file that I can find is with the version 4.7 I downloaded.  I have created a configuration file with my SSID, and it has its own name and is in the etc/wireless folder.

I have seen my home network showing as "Defined and Visible", but have not gotten an IP address assigned anywhere.

I admit I don't know much about what I'm doing, but I'm trying to include what technical specs I can, whether or not I understand them.

What steps do I need to take to bridge the gap between "Defined and Visible" and accessible?

Thanks ahead of time to all who try to help.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 12:49:55 pm »

Can you tell us which VL version you are using?

wicd should be able to connect you in no time.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: