VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: WPA confusion  (Read 1136 times)

KodeBlue

WPA confusion
« on: July 10, 2009, 01:31:26 pm »

Hi,

I am trying to establish a wireless connection.  Using the Wireless Networking "How To", I have managed to connect to an unencrypted network at my local cafe.  At home, the network uses WPA encryption, and I am utterly confused as to how to set it up properly.

Also, I would like eventually to be able to use front-end applications and start the wireless at boot-up, but those are luxuries right now.  I just want to get online.

I see files for wpa_supplicant versions 4.8 and 4.9 in the , and I have files for version 4.7 in my home folder that I copied from elsewhere.  I am unsure, but I think the 4.9 version is actually installed (according to the Package Manager, anyway), but the only wpa_supplicant.conf file that I can find is with the version 4.7 I downloaded.  I have created a configuration file with my SSID, and it has its own name and is in the etc/wireless folder.

I have seen my home network showing as "Defined and Visible", but have not gotten an IP address assigned anywhere.

I admit I don't know much about what I'm doing, but I'm trying to include what technical specs I can, whether or not I understand them.

What steps do I need to take to bridge the gap between "Defined and Visible" and accessible?

Thanks ahead of time to all who try to help.

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: WPA confusion
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 01:49:55 pm »

Can you tell us which VL version you are using?

wicd should be able to connect you in no time.