VectorLinux
November 21, 2014, 09:40:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vlc-plugin in mozilla ??  (Read 3224 times)
gime

« on: July 12, 2009, 01:39:15 pm »

I am a total newbie to VectorLinux, but I just love it. I've just migrated from Debian which is pretty nice, but not interesting enough...at least for me!
 My question is to find the equivalent to Debian's terminal command "apt-get install mozilla-plugin-vlc" in VectorLinux...does it exists ?
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 12:50:49 am »

Hi gime , and welcome to vl.

We have a tool called slapt-get , that is, obviously, the equivalent to debian's apt-get

slapt-get --update
slapt-get --install foo

the equivalent to sources.list is  /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc  (IIRC, not @ my vl machine now)

gslapt is the graphical front-end to slapt-get (hey synaptic!).

Btw, you won't find as many packages as in debian.  Our repos are growing day by day, but being a small community, it's impossible to catch up bigger and economically supported distros (at least in packaging matters).

We have some tutorials about packaging apps for vectorlinux too.  Make repos grow is a community job here Cheesy

Cheers

gime

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 04:11:08 am »

Hi gime , and welcome to vl.

We have a tool called slapt-get , that is, obviously, the equivalent to debian's apt-get

slapt-get --update
slapt-get --install foo

the equivalent to sources.list is  /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc  (IIRC, not @ my vl machine now)

gslapt is the graphical front-end to slapt-get (hey synaptic!).

Btw, you won't find as many packages as in debian.  Our repos are growing day by day, but being a small community, it's impossible to catch up bigger and economically supported distros (at least in packaging matters).

We have some tutorials about packaging apps for vectorlinux too.  Make repos grow is a community job here Cheesy

Cheers

this was what I got :

root:# slapt-get --install foo
Reading Package Lists... Done
No such package: foo
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Done
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 10:25:10 am »

"foo" is just a standin for the actual name of the package you're looking for.

I find it easier to use gslapt because I can do a search and SEE the results. Maybe you can do this with slapt-get, too, but I can never remember the right syntax and options.

Be sure to have the testing repository enabled if you're searching for a specific package because anything new is likely to be there. Disable the testing repo if you're trying to do a general upgrade.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
gime

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 12:09:32 pm »

Thank you for your reply, but that doesn't help a unexperienced VL user. How do I get my VL to be able to shop tv-streams ?

"foo" is just a standin for the actual name of the package you're looking for.

I find it easier to use gslapt because I can do a search and SEE the results. Maybe you can do this with slapt-get, too, but I can never remember the right syntax and options.

Be sure to have the testing repository enabled if you're searching for a specific package because anything new is likely to be there. Disable the testing repo if you're trying to do a general upgrade.
--GrannyGeek
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:39:22 pm »

Could you give me an address of one of the sites you would be using the mozilla vlc plugin for.  I have an idea but I want to make sure it works for your purposes before I ask you to start making changes to your system.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
gime

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 01:43:04 am »

well yes Im trying to stream something fron dr.dk the exact adress is :

http://drstreaming.nordija.dk/vlcplugin.html

You'll find links to streams there but the link is not a direct stream.

Could you give me an address of one of the sites you would be using the mozilla vlc plugin for.  I have an idea but I want to make sure it works for your purposes before I ask you to start making changes to your system.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 07:11:16 am »

There is a package available in slacky.eu

You can install that package running as root:

Code:
installpkg http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.1/multimedia/vlc/0.9.8a/vlc-mozilla-plugin-0.9.8a-i686-1as.tgz

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
gime

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 11:23:06 pm »

Thanks
It works just perfect...thanks a lot .-)

There is a package available in slacky.eu

You can install that package running as root:

Code:
installpkg http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.1/multimedia/vlc/0.9.8a/vlc-mozilla-plugin-0.9.8a-i686-1as.tgz

HTH
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: