VectorLinux
September 21, 2014, 03:46:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Math packages for Vector  (Read 2279 times)
Scriptham

« on: June 25, 2009, 02:07:23 pm »

Hi

Can anyone please tell me if there are any maths and statistics packages produced for Vector Linux. Examples that I have in mind are Sage, Maxima, R, axiom and a few others. In respect of axiom I have found http://axiom-developer.org/axiom-website/download.html just as I was about to post. Has anyone installed any of these with success?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Scriptham
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 09:55:29 am »

Hi,

The two maths packages I've used successfully in Vector are Calc and Pari, both of which are heavily numerical (which is what I tend to do). I tried octave but had less luck with it.

http://www.isthe.com/chongo/tech/comp/calc/index.html

BTW, Landon was briefly famous as one of a pair of high school students who jointly discovered the then biggest ever Mersenne prime, in 1978.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:47:01 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 01:28:14 pm »

Hi guys. I would hate to miss features related to mathematic in VL. If you can make a list of packages that we should have, I would gladly contribute to package them. I would suggest opening a "Math software" thread in the package request forum and build a list there, or just use tis one Smiley

Regards, Rodrigo.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Scriptham

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 07:52:58 am »

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Colonel Panic: I am more inclined towards computer algebra.

rbistolfi: Now your talking. Just to start the ball rolling:

Lets see if we can get some other people interested and maybe a few more items on the list and some idea of priorities and some measure of complexity. There is more than could be put on to a CD but maybe a DVD ROM.

Again thanks for your interest.
Scriptham
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 08:11:21 pm »

Ok looks like we have some work to do, I will report my progress as it happens Smiley

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 06:00:42 am »

I made Calc and Yacas. There is a R package in the repository but there is a newer version so I will do it. Looks like there is an Axiom package in their website for Vector.
More comming...

--
Jumalauta!!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 08:10:53 am »

TeXmacs is done.

--
Jumalauta!!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 08:55:45 am »

Maxima is done also.

--
Jumalauta!!
Scriptham

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 01:42:57 pm »

Hi rbistolfi

I just want to say that you have done an incredible job.

Unfortunately I am unable to use these as I can't get Vector running. I will post separately on this. In a few days I should have been able to install vactor try some of your work.

My personal thanks.
Scriptham
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 02:17:06 pm »

No problem, hope we can get your Vector running. I did wxMaxima also, I will look at the others as soon as I can make the time.

--
Jumalauta!!
Scriptham

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 01:39:57 pm »

Hi rbistolfi

Thanks for your efforts.

I have managed to install vector SOHO light 5.9.

I hope to install some of the packages that you prepared but first I need to find them because I don't think that the packaging system is picking them up.

Can you help with this please. What names have you used and could you post a link to the location/URL.
Oh! and of course will they work on 5.9?

Thanks
Scriptham
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: