VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Math packages for Vector  (Read 2643 times)

Scriptham

Math packages for Vector
« on: June 25, 2009, 03:07:23 pm »

Hi

Can anyone please tell me if there are any maths and statistics packages produced for Vector Linux. Examples that I have in mind are Sage, Maxima, R, axiom and a few others. In respect of axiom I have found http://axiom-developer.org/axiom-website/download.html just as I was about to post. Has anyone installed any of these with success?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Scriptham

Colonel Panic

• Vectorian
Re: Math packages for Vector
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 10:55:29 am »

Hi,

The two maths packages I've used successfully in Vector are Calc and Pari, both of which are heavily numerical (which is what I tend to do). I tried octave but had less luck with it.

http://www.isthe.com/chongo/tech/comp/calc/index.html

BTW, Landon was briefly famous as one of a pair of high school students who jointly discovered the then biggest ever Mersenne prime, in 1978.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 02:47:01 am by Colonel Panic »

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 02:28:14 pm »

Hi guys. I would hate to miss features related to mathematic in VL. If you can make a list of packages that we should have, I would gladly contribute to package them. I would suggest opening a "Math software" thread in the package request forum and build a list there, or just use tis one :)

Regards, Rodrigo.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

Scriptham

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 08:52:58 am »

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Colonel Panic: I am more inclined towards computer algebra.

rbistolfi: Now your talking. Just to start the ball rolling:

Lets see if we can get some other people interested and maybe a few more items on the list and some idea of priorities and some measure of complexity. There is more than could be put on to a CD but maybe a DVD ROM.

Again thanks for your interest.
Scriptham

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 09:11:21 pm »

Ok looks like we have some work to do, I will report my progress as it happens :)
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 07:00:42 am »

I made Calc and Yacas. There is a R package in the repository but there is a newer version so I will do it. Looks like there is an Axiom package in their website for Vector.
More comming...

--
Jumalauta!!

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 09:10:53 am »

TeXmacs is done.

--
Jumalauta!!

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 09:55:45 am »

Maxima is done also.

--
Jumalauta!!

Scriptham

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 02:42:57 pm »

Hi rbistolfi

I just want to say that you have done an incredible job.

Unfortunately I am unable to use these as I can't get Vector running. I will post separately on this. In a few days I should have been able to install vactor try some of your work.

My personal thanks.
Scriptham

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 03:17:06 pm »

No problem, hope we can get your Vector running. I did wxMaxima also, I will look at the others as soon as I can make the time.

--
Jumalauta!!

Scriptham

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 02:39:57 pm »

Hi rbistolfi

Thanks for your efforts.

I have managed to install vector SOHO light 5.9.

I hope to install some of the packages that you prepared but first I need to find them because I don't think that the packaging system is picking them up.

Can you help with this please. What names have you used and could you post a link to the location/URL.
Oh! and of course will they work on 5.9?

Thanks
Scriptham