VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 10:01:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reno Cigar Lions and Vector Linux on YouTube.....  (Read 3824 times)
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« on: July 15, 2009, 09:03:35 pm »

The Reno Cigar Lions now have, thanks to Jeff from SQI, a YouTube Channel set up with videos of some of our Computers for Kids refurbishing and training/delivery sessions. The channel is cfklions. Here is the url:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cfklions&search_type=&aq=f

We fully acknowledge that we are amateurs at doing this but are doing our best to improve these sessions each time we have the opportunity.

Please let us know what you think and if you have any suggestions on how to improve our processes.....

A huge thank you to the Vector Linux Community for all of your help and support.....!

We are also looking at putting on a 'Technology Camp' for deserving young people. More to follow on that effort.....  Cool

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 11:42:55 am »

Nice...

Not bad for amateurs Wink
I see VL in action in a few of those boxes.
I know we probably dont get to see everything that happens in the short youtube clip, but maybe  a mini course would be good for those kids. Give them an oportunity to get some hands-on experiance using VL as someone explains to them how to do stuff.

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 12:33:52 pm »

Nice indeed!

Never-Stop-Learning, I think I mentioned before how impressed I was with your efforts and those of the lions club.  Well, let me do so again.  Especially liked your comparison between the lions providing eye glasses 50 years ago to give underprivileged kids competitive vision for the future and providing them with computers today to accomplish the same end.

Gives me some motivation, perhaps if I get get opensourcebistro.com further along it can be of some use to those kids.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 01:54:52 pm »

Wonderful, truly wonderful.  You give underprivileged kids some great things.  Firstly you actively involve them in helping save the planet by being involved in a reuse/recycling project.  Secondly you give them a fantastic set of tools that enable them to release their potential in school.  Finally you give them access to a powerful operating system and software that they can play with and improve/alter to their needs as they wish.  We need more projects like this.  In Cardiff we have a large computer recycling project, which a recycling charity that I was a worker at helped to set up.  However they install microsoft products under license.  All the software is effectively old, the OS is XP, which will stop being maintained and will lag behind.  These machines are essentially restricted in their scope.  However you are providing machines that have cutting edge software and a cutting edge OS.  So much better.  Unburdened by virus checkers they will run faster and more efficiently than their Windows equivalents.  You are not just giving those kids a great gift - you are liberating them :-)
tanelle

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 12:03:07 am »

I like the idea very much and had plans in that direction years ago. But put this next to the "scared one away" topic, I'm afraid lots of these computers end up with an illegal XP on it. Put some kids together and your computer has to be sexy, that is with the latest Sims or GTA or whatever. Maybe it's about Dutch kids being spoiled to the bone.

Beside this the "never a virus on your computer" will be very appealing to some of them!!

Running VL since 2002.Ubuntu and VL6.0 final on Thinkpad dualcore 1.6ghz /1 gb. VL 5.8 SoHo on mediapc 2.8ghz/768mb vl5.8 std+kde on 1 daughter's pc 550mhz/192mb other daughter runs Ubuntu 8.10.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 02:11:07 pm »

Great work, congratuations to all the Lions. It surely adds an extra reason for being part of this community.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 06:45:16 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 11:08:23 am »

We couldn't do it without the help - and patience - of this community.....

And if anyone would like to replicate this program in your own community, please LMK and I will forward the program overview to you.

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: