VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 02:30:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Having issues installing 6.0 on certain towers.....  (Read 1802 times)
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« on: July 21, 2009, 01:28:17 pm »

I have noticed that there seem to be issues installing 6.0 on certain towers.....

Some won't even load the 6.0 CD (verified good but tried 2 or 3 others with the same result)......

Some get through the install process and then X is nothing but vertical lines or I get an 'out of range' message.....

Some puke partway through the install process and dump me into the 'something went wrong' screen......

Here's what has me going: I have been able to install 5.9 on almost all of the towers in question. Had to go back to 5.8 in one case (a PIII Gateway). I have the System Profiler info from these machines. Would it be beneficial to post this info and, if so, which room would be best?

Thank You,

David

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 01:41:26 pm »

BTW, I was able to boot Puppy 4.2 on these towers and tried to copy xorg.conf to the Vector 6.0 installation without success.

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 05:00:35 pm »

Hi Dave;
Just curious for the 6.0 installs did you try both the graphical and text installer?

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:58:21 pm »

Hi Dave;
Just curious for the 6.0 installs did you try both the graphical and text installer?

Yes - both yielded the same result.

We even had numbers of the same machines (Compaq) where most loaded just fine but two did not (had to use 5.9). Then I noticed minor cosmetic differences that lead me to believe there are probably internal differences as well.

These are donated machines for the Computers for Kids program but I would be happy to keep examples of some of the more problematic machines back to serve as a 'regression testing' lab if it would be of use to the Vector Community.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 11:36:02 pm »

I absolutely hate to agree with never_stop_learning.  So I will just tell the story.

This afternoon (Sunday) a friend of mine, a good friend, asked me to load Vector on his Dell tower, roughly 5 years old.  Windows was giving him problems and he finally decided to take the plunge. Wanted everything wiped. So I got out my trusty 6.0 standard disk and tried to install Vector 6.0, using the old installer.  It wouldn't install, so I figured my copy of 6.0 was bad.  Burned a new one. No help.  So I figured the cdrom was bad, as the dots following Sata were very slow.  Changed the cdrom.  No help.  So I figure the hard drive was bad and changed it.  No difference.  So I tried the GUI installer and lo and behold it installed.  Perfectly, according to the screen.  Rebooted and it just circled.  Push the Vector button or the Vector TUI button and after a minute or so, the same screen would come up.  Pushed Vector again, and same thing.  Going in circles.  Figured something wrong with the mbr, so loaded puppy and installed it over vector on the hard drive.  Puppy, as always, worked fine.  Then reinstalled Vector 6.0 over Puppy and this time Vector went through to the GUI.  Put in the info (user name etc) and it blew up, giving error message that the session had lasted less than 10 seconds and I was probably out of disk space.  Bullsh---.  Couldn't get past that.  Tried failsafe and all that, but no luck. "Session lasted less than 10 seconds" error no matter what I did.

Then called never_stop_learning and he suggested loading 5.9.  Downloaded 5.9 from the vector site (I had erased it) and burned the disk.

Vector 5.9 loaded perfectly and works fine.

I hope that 6.1 fixes this.  Vector should run on a 5 year old Dell tower.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 06:20:23 am »

Would it be beneficial to post this info and, if so, which room would be best?
I hope somebody takes you up on your offer never-stop-learning.
You are in a great position to test a whole lot-a hardware.  The data you could provide would be good for VL over all.

I have another bit of curiosity did you ever try VL-light 6.0 on the towers in question.  I could be wrong but the installer for light feels like it is still more closely related to the 5.9 version to me.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 09:25:34 am »

First of all, I have to bask in Sledgehammer's adulation.....  Wink   Cheesy   Grin

stretchedthin - Just waiting for some direction regarding which room works best to post the data.   Cool

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 09:43:12 am »

I'm curious about this.
When you say it kept looping... Did it ever get out of lilo and start loading the initrd and booting the OS or did it just return to LILO?

How did you install lilo?

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 07:30:51 pm »

I installed lilo with the gui installer on Vector 6.0.  It never got out of the loop until I loaded and installed Puppy, which uses Grub.  Then, AFTER installing Puppy, I re-installed Vector 6.0 over it.  That's when it got out of the loop and went to the gui screen that allows user name and password.  When I put in the user name and password, root or non-root, it gave me the "your session lasted less than 10 second," the error message suggesting that my disk might be full. It then crashed.  No way was the disk full as on one of the loads, I gave root 20 mb.  I do not dual boot.  This was a Vector-only install. 

As an aside, when installing 6.0 with the traditional installer, it would go about 25% of the way and then give an error.  I forgot the error...something like things were confused and the install could not continue.  However, with the GUI installer, it completed installed and said it did so "successfully."  Not true.

John

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 05:55:37 am »

Your box may just not be good for LILO. I have a box where lilo wont work, only grub. I tried everything, I dont even get the menu on LILO, but that's another subject.

If you get to the login manager and it tells you your session lasted < 10 seconds, then it is a problem with the wm configuration.
I would boot into runlevel 2 (tui mode) and start troubleshooting
run vasm to setup your window manager
When you get to the login manager, click on "Session" and select one of the available sessions.
Also, if you used a separate partition for /home, make sure it is registered correctly in /etc/fstab.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 07:22:05 am »

Also, if you used a separate partition for /home, make sure it is registered correctly in /etc/fstab.

That may be the problem, with the GUI installer at least, as I don't use Gparted much and have trouble with which partition to format...I think it (GUI installer) shows something like:

/
/root
/home

I pick / as that is required and use that for root.  I then pick /home rather than /root.  Perhaps I should have picked /root.

I did, using failsafe, look at fstab and it seemed OK.  But I can't now recall the details.

John

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 07:32:36 am »

It really makes no difference how you pick your partitions... My guess is that something is wrong with your /home/<user> ... either bad permissions or missing stuff.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: