VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 09:54:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange Update  (Read 3376 times)
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 08:57:28 pm »

HP Mini-Note 2133, VL-6.0-STD-Gold

Owner of machine made an automated update. After rebooting all the icons on the
panel were missing and the xfce-menu applet was gone. I do not know what was
updated. Whatever it was that was not nice to happen. Added the icons now again
manually.

Embarrassed My apologies. I didn't know there were issues with Xfce 4.6.0, hadn't seen any reported, so I moved it out of testing. Whoops....

OT - I have an interest in the HP 2133. At the moment, its got Zenwalk installed, but I've not been able to get the wireless drivers working (compiled without problems, but I get errors trying to load the module).

Can you PM me with any details of the install to this machine - I would really like to get it sorted, and would have prefered Vector on it anyway (had problems, may have been the Vector CD that I had with me...). I'm especially interested in how the wireless was enabled...

Paul.

Hi Paul - I have installed 6.0 Standard on both the 2133 (Via chip) and the 1000 (Intel Atom chip) and everything worked out of the box.....

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 07:35:11 pm »

To the delight of the owner of HP Mini 2133 everything is working again properly.
Thanks!

I installed VL-6.0 on it and the wireless connection has just been working. Owner can move
to different servers in town click on the Wicd tray icon and connect. She seems to have
no problems at least never heard a complain. Works great.

I just checked that on my own PC I had xfce4-4.6 installed in April and never noticed anything strange.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 08:53:53 am »

I just checked that on my own PC I had xfce4-4.6 installed in April and never noticed anything strange.

I think I have the issue figured out. Xfce 4.6 has a number of hicolor icons, that have to be copied to /usr/share/icons/hicolor.
The hicolor icons have an index that is used by gtk to find the icons quickly, it uses the index instead of searching through the filesystem. This index has to be rebuild each time icons are added to the folder. The thing is, other packages shipping hicolor icons do update the icon cache when installed, and if you install one of those with Xfce, the problem is solved before you can note it.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 01:20:56 pm »

HP Mini-Note 2133, VL-6.0-STD-Gold

Owner of machine made an automated update. After rebooting all the icons on the
panel were missing and the xfce-menu applet was gone. I do not know what was
updated. Whatever it was that was not nice to happen. Added the icons now again
manually.

Embarrassed My apologies. I didn't know there were issues with Xfce 4.6.0, hadn't seen any reported, so I moved it out of testing. Whoops....

OT - I have an interest in the HP 2133. At the moment, its got Zenwalk installed, but I've not been able to get the wireless drivers working (compiled without problems, but I get errors trying to load the module).

Can you PM me with any details of the install to this machine - I would really like to get it sorted, and would have prefered Vector on it anyway (had problems, may have been the Vector CD that I had with me...). I'm especially interested in how the wireless was enabled...

Paul.

Hi Paul - I have installed 6.0 Standard on both the 2133 (Via chip) and the 1000 (Intel Atom chip) and everything worked out of the box.....

Thanks! I will give it a go as soon as I get near the machine again. I had a few problems installing Zenwalk - for some reason, I had to use the install CD to partition the drive, but as soon as I tried to start the install, it couldn't find the CD (I was using an external USB CD). On the other hand, the Zenwalk live CD, even though it couldn't partition the drive, had no problem installing once the drive was partitioned.

I then downloaded the native wireless driver source from Broadcom and built it on my own laptop (using the same Zenwalk kernel), but got errors every time I tried to load the module.

Smiley So, so long as I can get Vector to install, it sounds as though I can avoid worrying about having to build the wireless module myself. Sounds good to me.....

paul.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: