VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 10:43:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can not install  (Read 1148 times)
m-v-p

« on: July 29, 2009, 09:07:40 pm »

Hello.

I am a complete newbie to Linux and Vector Linux. I have just downloaded Vector Linux and I am trying to install it. Unfortunately there is already a (major ?) problem.
When I go through the installing procedure, I can not get past the disk partitioning. I choose "the safest way" and got in the disk partitioning tool. As I had already the necessary partitions prepared, exited the tool. Then it says it will check the partitions. That doesn't take seconds, but would still be going on if I hadn't turned of my computer manually.
I then tried it with the "already have partitions" option and somewhere arrive at the point that the computer has to be rebooted. The program just hangs and doesn't continue.
I have 2 hard disks installed. On the first, partition (C: ) contains Windows, the second (D: ) is empty. The second also has 2 partitions (E : and F: ) that are also empty. All partitions have been formatted as FAT 32.
Any idea what's going wrong ?

Greetings,

Michel
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 09:30:48 pm »

I have 2 hard disks installed. On the first, partition (C: ) contains Windows, the second (D: ) is empty. The second also has 2 partitions (E : and F: ) that are also empty. All partitions have been formatted as FAT 32.
Any idea what's going wrong ?

Yup, I got a pretty good idea. Wink

Here are a couple screencasts on how to partition for linux.  The screencasts where done on VL6.0 gold, if you are using a different version, you could download vl6.0 gold and just use the gparted tool.
Partitioning for a linux installation
Partitioning for a linux dual boot

The screencasts do not fit your scenario entirely, but they should get you a little more familiar with partitioning for linux.

In your situation I would leave the first hard drive alone, leaving windows untouched. You are going to have to set up the 2nd drive with at least a / (or root) partition and a swap.  Once you have those two set up, you should be able to install from there.

I'm assuming you are installing VL6.0 gold.  Let me know if you are installing vl6.0 light because the partitioning tool will be different, but the principles the same.

Oh, and welcome to Linux, I think you will grow to like it here.

This may help as well.  It's a YouTube video of vl6.0 gold install.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l_X90fKOE8

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:36:17 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 03:52:15 am »

Welcome Michel.

If all partitions are FAT32, at least one needs to be made into type linux. Easiest way to do that is to delete a partition and create a new one in the resulting free space. Use the partitioning tool on the install cd and reboot after doing so.

Unless you have a gig or more of memory, you should also make a swap partition. Make it twice the size of your memory, not to exceed 512 MB (anything beyond that should be unnecessary).

It would help if you post the specs of your computer and which version of VL you are working with.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 06:06:16 am »

Sounds like he's trying 6.0 (because I sense the use of the GUI installer in his post)

@Michel
You need to click the "Apply" button (check mark icon) on gparted so your changes are saved to the disk. If you exit the partition utility without doing that, it's as if you never used it in the first place.

And oh yeah... you can't install linux in a FAT-anything or ntfs partition.
You must use real linux filesystems.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: