VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 01:01:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [solved]where do i locate source packages for installed libraries?  (Read 1141 times)
brokndodge

Linux is sooo HOT

« on: August 03, 2009, 06:04:00 am »

well, here i am posting in what someone will probably say is the wrong forum again.  Since no one else seems to be interested in google chrome, i'm trying to build it myself.  somehow i still don't think it will work, but i'm gonna try.  there are a few build dependencies i'm having trouble finding.  i'm sorry if this is obvious, i just don't know where to look.  i still haven't mastered the vl package naming scheme.  I am well aware that vl is not based on debian, it's slackware, but i have to work with the printed docs that are available.  so i am trying to translate that into vectorlinux/slackware packages that i can install thru slapt-get.

google chrome build system depends on the following debian packages:

libnss3-dev (this should be the nss3 source, also required by firefox)
libnspr-0d>=4.7.1 (0d is an ubuntu thing, simlinks to it work, also required by firefox)
libnspr-dev>=4.7.1 (this should be the nspr source, also required by firefox)
libasound2-dev (this should be the alsa source)
libgconf2-dev (this should be the gconf 2.x source)
libglib2.0-dev (this should be the glib 2.x source)
libgtk2.0-dev (this should be the gtk 2.x source)
freetype-dev (this should be the freetype source)
libcairo-dev (this should be the cairo source)
libdbus-1-dev (this should be the dbus 1.x source)

it's a shot in the dark trying to build on this antique laptop.  pII-300, 160mb ram, 15gb hd.  not even sure i have enough drive space for the build.  but gonna give it a shot.  the speed boost provided by chrome is simply to large to ignore.  where firefox can be painfully slow on an average system, from what i can tell chrome is radically fast even on this antique.  the deb install just crashes on most of the pages i visit.  i am well aware of the antique browsers available in the repo, they are slow and don't support modern html, including my corporate e-mail account. 

thanks to the kind soul that is willing to point me in the right direction.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:57:33 pm by brokndodge » Logged

VL 7.0 Standard

brokndodge
- OSS is not a religion, it's the solution to buggy irresponsible coding -
Linux User# 494720
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 07:42:58 am »

If I had time for ASCI art I would make a finger to point.

http://ifeelalittlestupid.wordpress.com/2009/06/09/using-the-chromium-linux-beta-build-on-slackware-12-2/

I hope that can get you started.

Bigpaws
brokndodge

Linux is sooo HOT

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 12:28:54 pm »

thanks for the link, unfortunately the information i've posted in my own forum thread is a lil more accurate and a lil more updated.

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=10210.0

the nss slackbuild package he linked to is broken.  the linuxquestions.com forum post he referenced is ancient.   

installing from binary, either from the google chrome beta .deb file or from the buildbot snapshotsm, does not work on vectorlinux.  i would be happy to provide a quick install script for either binary.  i update everyday in the hope that it's a chromium bug rather than a missing dep.  i see no option except to build it myself.  thus this post about build dependencies.  i certainly appriciate the sarcasm, tho.

thx for all your help.

VL 7.0 Standard

brokndodge
Linux User# 494720
brokndodge

Linux is sooo HOT

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:59:49 pm »

well not exactly solved, but i managed to get nspr and nss built from source while trying to satisfy the build dependencies.  those two packages solved the crashing issue I had with google chrome.  so no longer need to build form source, see my post in software requests for a detailed log of how i did it.

VL 7.0 Standard

brokndodge
Linux User# 494720
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: