VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Cups is in starting scripts, but when I go to print, it isn't running [SOLVED]  (Read 2177 times)

Hiero2

I go to VASM, and Cups starts in levels 3 and 4, if I remember, maybe it was 2 and 3. When I go to print after rebooting or logging out and back in, my printer is not there, and I have to restart Cups, after which my printer is visible again.

What's up? Or, where should I start looking to see what's up?

Mark
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 01:55:49 pm by Hiero2 »

Daniel

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • TuxToys - Packages for VectorLinux 6.0
Re: Cups is in starting scripts, but when I go to print, it isn't running
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 01:26:19 pm »

Is CUPS selected to start at boot? You can select/check this by going to VASM, Service, Services and seeing if the checkbox for CUPS is checked or not.
The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM

Hiero2

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 07:30:23 pm »

Yup - I thot that was what I said. Cups is checked to start, at run levels 3 and 4.

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:06:23 pm »

I noticed a similar problem after the last cups update on gslapt.  Three of our computers would not print after the update, even though cups was set to start in run level 4 and even though the program showed that cups was running. In any event, after a while, it seemed to fix itself.  I can't remember what I did.  I think I just disabled cups in run level 4 and re-enabled it.  Now they all work fine.

John
VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

Hiero2

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 11:29:10 am »

Problem resolved. Turned out to be CUPS wasn't checked at the runlevel I was using. It was a result of not understanding how runlevels worked. I had to go out and figure that one out - and as a result I edited the Wikepedia runlevel entry to clarify it. I thought they ran sequentially, but - as any non-newb here knows, it is an either/or proposition.

Thanks all.
Hiero2