VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 04:58:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Back  (Read 1845 times)
Ascara

« on: September 01, 2009, 04:05:55 pm »

Hi All,

Thought i would say hi to everyone in the vain hope you will all welcome back a returning vectorer (is that a word?)

The backstory if you want it, i was introduced to linux about 6-7 years ago, needless to say i fell in love straight away and it is true that you never forget your first love.

The first love in this case was a copy of Vector SOHO I got free with Linux Format (a UK magazine) I still remember having to salvage a serial mouse because i couldn't get my ps/2 one working with XF86!! but i carried on and loved every minute of using it.

Now i have been a sys admin for many years and have been through all the big names settling on the big U (i don't think i need to spell it) and i have been sort of happy, if unable to settle on a system!
I got a cheap old laptop to use for work (as it's really portable) and tried to install said distro, well it ran about the same as XP ran on this system (badly) and it even needed a helping hand to install the wifi drivers!!

For some reason i remembered that Vector was good for old systems so i downloaded VL6.0, all i can say is WOW, WIFI recognised straight away, everything configured automatically!!!!

I'm so glad i have come back, i had almost forgotten how great Vector was  Cool

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 06:00:05 pm »

Welcome back!
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 08:46:39 pm »

Yes, absolutely. Welcome back.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 12:15:53 am »

Seems like quite a few people come back to Vector. Now, if that isn't a good sign! Smiley

VL Light 6.0 (Final built, 31/03/09, kernel 2.6.27.12).
Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
Registered Linux User no. 495460
Oh no! -> Tropic of Vector
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 03:34:41 am »

Welcome back.

The correct term is vectorian btw

N.moikeno

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 11:11:27 am »

yes things are going along ok for me at the moment, still got some stuff to work out but nothing major.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: