VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 03:29:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm running Vector Linux once again - and enjoying the speed!  (Read 2339 times)
sdboyd

« on: August 10, 2009, 09:26:35 pm »

Hi all,

(First - please forgive me if this was posted twice. I timed out while writing this post, and I'm not sure if it got posted.)

I had used VL Light 5.9 in 2008 on my previous laptop - a Thinkpad T21, and it worked pretty well. I tried VL Light 6.0 when it was released, but I had problems with my wireless card that I couldn't resolve. (The card was kinda flakey anyway.) I then heard about gOS, tried it out and liked it. This past April, I got a newer Thinkpad R51 (with built in wireless), installed gOS on it, and everything was OK for awhile. I wasn't really happy with the speed of the OS though. So a week ago I once again installed VL Light 6.0. Works really great!, and I really like the speed and responsiveness of VL. The install went flawlessly. VL boots up 3 times faster than gOS. I click on an icon or a menu item, and the app opens a lot faster. I'm another satisfied Vector user!

On a related note:
I couldn't find much about the bootup process in the online documentation, so when I was using VL 5.9, I started taking notes about the boot process - you know - which rc.* files it runs through, etc. I'm once again doing this for VL Light 6.0. I'm interested in trying to shorten the already quick bootup time. Some time soon, I will post my findings and notes, either in this forum or on my Website if anyone is interested in this kinda thing.

Scott

Running VL 7.0 Std - Xfce4.8 on an Acer Aspire 5517 Laptop - Athlon64 X2 Dual Core L310 - 4GB RAM - 320GB HD
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 05:08:50 am »

Welcome, Scott.

We would all be interested in hearing about any tweaks that may increase performance. Please let us know how it goes.
MPvDdB

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 06:19:51 am »

Welcome, Scott.

We would all be interested in hearing about any tweaks that may increase performance. Please let us know how it goes.

Further advancing speed during use is interesting.

But quite as interesting might be the time it takes to get the system up.

Did you guys and gals ever see this description of a talk at the Linux Plumper Conference about tweaking Linux to boot in a few seconds:

http://lwn.net/Articles/299483/

kindest regards
from Leeuwarden, NL
Peter van Dobben de Bruijn

vovane

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 09:49:12 am »

I have a very similar situation:i used VL5.9 for some time,liked the speed but needed something else.I tried out many distros(Alt,ASP,Debian,etc) and a couple of weeks ago i returned back to Vector 6.0 Light and now i really enjoy the speed.It's much faster than 5.9 or 6.0 Standart were.When i tried 6.0 Standart i was very surprised with it - it was extremely slow and unresponsive.So i installed win again,used it,then went on trying Linux distros and now i am here,proud of VL6.0 Light's speeds Smiley
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 07:19:38 pm »

Peter, I read that article a while ago and found it intriguing. I just timed booting up into VL6 on my Pentium 4 and it took 60 seconds, not including the lilo timeout (3 seconds in my case) or the time to type my password. That's not bad, but it can be frustratingly long if I have just shut down the PC and realise I need to look something up. So it would be great if the VL team could incorporate some of these speed-up ideas into the next relaease... any chance?
vovane

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 05:08:57 am »

By the way,my PIII 851MHz  boots up in 58 seconds,not including timeouts of lilo and password:)
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 01:46:37 pm »

I heard ubuntu ppl were working in a booting system that booted a machine in <20 secs.  I don't even know what's its name, but maybe we could have a look there...

Texas flood also gave good speed-up to booting times.

I don't know how difficult would be to incorporate those new boot systems in our booting process.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: