Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Help with integrating kernel into setup disk vl6 lite  (Read 1986 times)

wph

Help with integrating kernel into setup disk vl6 lite
« on: August 10, 2009, 11:19:29 pm »
Hi,  I need help in integrating a new kernel into the install disk for vl6 light.

I needed to compile the generic ide drivers into the kernel. I went into /usr/src/linux  ran make menuconfig, marked the generic ide stuff and compiled. I now have a bzImage - I'm not worrying about the modules as I have made no changes to them.

I now want to build the install disk. From what I gather I put a copy of the bzImage into the /isolinux/kernel folder on the cd, get the boot.img/boot.cat (using isobuster)

Now I think I have to put the copy of the bzImage into vlconfig.tlz in the boot folder.

I notice the contents of boot have vmlinuz pointing to vmlinuz-2.6.27.12  - however I can't see where the vmlinuz-2.6.27.12 is actually stored. I'm assuming that I should name bzImage as vmlinuz-2.6.26.12 and copy it into the /boot folder.

If this is correct my last hurdle is that I don't know how to rebuild the vlconfig.tlz file from the unpacked vlconfig.tlz file

1) Can you verify that what I've done is correct

2) How do I create the new .tlz file

3) Do I need to add any patches - if so, how so? Thanks

Thankyo for any help you can offer
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:21:28 pm by wph »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Help with integrating kernel into setup disk vl6 lite
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 05:03:29 am »
The kernel in the ISO is /isolinux/kernel/sata. It gets copied and renamed in the installation process.
Replace that file with your custom one (name it "sata").

While there is no need to modify vlconfig.tlz for a changed kernel, your new /boot/System.map and /boot/config file should go in there.

To create a new vlconfig.tlz file, enter into the directory where you have the unpacked tlz file, issue command:
Code: [Select]
tar cpO * | lzma -2 >../path/to/the/file/vlconfig.tlz
Another option for a custom spin is the soon to be released VL6 Light Live version.
It can be installed to hard drive, modified, and made back into your own, personalized, tweaked, custom CD  ;D

wph

Re: Help with integrating kernel into setup disk vl6 lite
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 12:19:47 pm »
Brilliant - how easy is that