VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 11:00:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange Firefox Behaviour  (Read 1603 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« on: August 12, 2009, 08:11:13 pm »

In one particular website playing a flash video and clicking on Fullscreen
freezes Firefox.

This happens only in my working box VL-6-Light as well as in VL-6-Std. Both are on
separate HDs.

It does not happen in VL-5.8 or in Knoppix neither with other browsers such as
Opera or Epiphany in above boxes.

What could be the explanation for this?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 09:56:46 pm »

I hit that one also. I dunno about the origin of the problem, just letting you know that you are not alone Smiley

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 03:36:09 am »

Living with, and working around bugs seems unavoidable. That's why I'm against the "one app per task" philosophy. I routinely use several browsers, as all have their unique strengths and weaknesses. And the landscape is far from static.

The other day I "fixed" a friend's computer. She was unable to  log in to her school's mail server using her brand new Vista Ultimate laptop. The "fix" was to install Firefox. Grin
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 04:25:32 am »

@Pita

I've experianced the same behaivour with some youtube vids and the link you posted in the new package thread. I also noticed that the problem did not exist on VL6.0 light Live RC1 untill I installed the Nvidia drivers.

Anyhow to cut a long story short (much fiddling with options in xorg.conf) I finally found that dissabling 'hardware acceleration' in Flash settings solves the problem on my GF 6600GT. According to the Adobe site HW acceleration reduces cpu load when in full screen by offloading scaling. My cpu (amd xp3200, 2.2GHz) seems fine at full screen.

I know this isn't a real solution but at least it provides a work around for some although I I'm left wondering where the problem lies, Nvidia, Flash or firefox?

Chris
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 07:42:25 pm »

@Pita

I've experianced the same behaivour with some youtube vids and the link you posted in the new package thread. I also noticed that the problem did not exist on VL6.0 light Live RC1 untill I installed the Nvidia drivers.

Anyhow to cut a long story short (much fiddling with options in xorg.conf) I finally found that dissabling 'hardware acceleration' in Flash settings solves the problem on my GF 6600GT. According to the Adobe site HW acceleration reduces cpu load when in full screen by offloading scaling. My cpu (amd xp3200, 2.2GHz) seems fine at full screen.

I know this isn't a real solution but at least it provides a work around for some although I I'm left wondering where the problem lies, Nvidia, Flash or firefox?

Chris

Thank you so much!

dissabling 'hardware acceleration' in Flash settings solved the problem.

Regards
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: