VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 06:51:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL Light Live 6.0 RC1 Feedback  (Read 6720 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 09:11:34 pm »

Newt and Daniel,
I'm happy to report that I was able to boot into my installation on /dev/hda6 using the tab at the Live CD's prompt and modifying the command for my situation. I fixed up the bootsect.lnx file and reran lilo -v and rebooted successfully into VL 6 Light.

Thanks so much for the suggestion!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 04:54:15 am »

I would like to disable the touchpad but don't know how

Now that I think of it, I included a script, "/sbin/vtptoggle", that does just that.

This is for VL Light, using "synaptics". There is a line in ~/.icewm/keys that you can uncomment to map a key combination to the action.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 05:09:51 am »

Used vxconf in active box did not start the scrolling.

Rebooted with "probe for video" and yes wheel scrolling works now. Cheesy

Now I will have my nap.

Checked as well for printer setting with this booting mode: No USB device Cry

Having several options is a good thing. You can combine "vga=normal" and "probe for video":
Choose the second to last boot option (Command line  vga=normal). Run "vxconf" as root. Start X with "startx".
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 01:54:12 pm »

Newt and Daniel,
I'm happy to report that I was able to boot into my installation on /dev/hda6 using the tab at the Live CD's prompt and modifying the command for my situation. I fixed up the bootsect.lnx file and reran lilo -v and rebooted successfully into VL 6 Light.

Thanks so much for the suggestion!
--GrannyGeek

Glad to hear it worked. Inspired by this, I have added a boot option for that kind of scenario.

Say Granny, I notice that your signature mentions some ATI powered boxes. Have you tried using fglrx (vlati) on any of them? Booting to CLI, vga=normal would probably be the best starting point, log in as root and run vxconf.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 06:17:57 pm »

Say Granny, I notice that your signature mentions some ATI powered boxes. Have you tried using fglrx (vlati) on any of them? Booting to CLI, vga=normal would probably be the best starting point, log in as root and run vxconf.

My Radeon 9200 is not compatible with the fglrx driver. Something to do with the version of xorg and older ATI cards. I use the open-source radeon driver for it and I do get 3D and hardware acceleration.

I use the fglrx driver on the computer with onboard Radeon Xpress 200 graphics. I haven't updated the kernel on the computer yet. When I do, I guess I'll have to rerun vxconf.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 07:28:43 pm »

How about trying fglrx on the Xpress 200 one, using the LiveCD?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: