VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 03:48:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL6 Light Live B4 feedback.  (Read 3805 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: August 13, 2009, 08:35:14 pm »

Please post your findings below. Thank you for testing.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 07:48:05 pm »

I am now in VL6 Light-Live and by golly it is fast, hardly believing working from a CD.

I went through most applications of the menu and can't find a fault except in xterm, dillo may be others the
wheel of the mouse does not scroll have to use shift-pgup/down. Checked the mouse setting in vasm it did not help.

Internet conncetion was instant and USB working judging that  the webcam is funtioning.

And great my Epson printer printed on first install thru cups. Remember we had some
problems with that before.

To sum it: it is a beauty of a distro. Cheesy

Forgot, dillo is not the latest version.Huh

Further: the program 'look' is present, however, not the needed file /usr/share/dict/words.

Firefox does not hang when trying to play fullscreen a flash video in ardmediathek
unlike in my working box VL-6-Light or in VL-6-Std-Gold.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:20:52 pm by Pita » Logged
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 05:50:08 am »

Same issue here with the scroll wheel on my mouse. 

Will give it a fuller try.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 07:00:31 am »

Thank you for testing!

Dillo is the latest available from "stable" repo.

The missing the "words" file was removed because it's rather big. Maybe I should have removed "look" too, or is that a much used command?

The default "vesa" option chooses pretty failsafe settings. If you run "Probe for video", which gives you vxconf, does that give you a working scroll wheel?
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 06:12:45 pm »

Thank you for testing!

Dillo is the latest available from "stable" repo.

The missing the "words" file was removed because it's rather big. Maybe I should have removed "look" too, or is that a much used command?

I personally use it a lot being on constant war path with spelling.Wink

The default "vesa" option chooses pretty failsafe settings. If you run "Probe for video", which gives you vxconf, does that give you a working scroll wheel?

No it does not. Changed manually the setting in xorg.conf for mouse to IMPS/2, still no scrolling.
It was set to PS/2. Will try "auto" next time.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 07:55:33 pm »

I set the Protocol for mouse to "auto" and scrolling works now.

Strange, when I booted the CD the first time alsa was all set correctly and sound
working w/o me having done anything. Now on subsequent bootings alsamixer shows only "capture" and there is naturally no sound.
As root I have to stop alsa then start it and the entire range of alsamixer is showing and
I have just to adjust the volumes.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 08:34:27 am »

I personally use it a lot being on constant war path with spelling.Wink

You got it.  Smiley
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 06:34:02 pm »

When booting with splash screen, the first option, alsa is not set properly as reported.

Now when booting with vga set to 791 alsa is working properly. Tried each option twice and each time the same result.

Menu-System-ManagePrinting opens Opera with http://localhost:631 and gives error 'not available', adding /admin same error, however, configuring printing with vasm opens opera with http://127.0.0.1:631/admin correctly.

As usual I can't get Adie to print, never did in any box. Leafpad does print, however, no print review.

Menu-System-WindowTerminator opens a standard xterm. In my opinion too big. My command in my box and in HP 2133 is "xterm -bg red -g 15x5 -e xkill"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 07:13:41 pm by Pita » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 06:08:50 am »

RC1 is available. See how that one does.

I am not familiar with the commands needed for adie to print, looks like they need to be set in it's printer "Properties" settings.

Leafpad uses evince for print preview.. now we're looking at the additional 15 dependent gnome packages. A workaround is to print to a pdf file and preview it in xpdf.

I like your suggestion on the x-kill window, thanks for the tip!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: