VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 03:51:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: DANGER-Will Robinson!!  (Read 11942 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 08:29:20 pm »

Installed kernel, module and src did my lilo and mvidia will not start any longer.

Reinstalled mvidia with gslapt still it says mvidia is not configured in the kernel or such a thing.

How to go about?
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 04:07:01 am »

run vxconf so the nvidia kernel module can be built for this kernel version
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 08:37:01 am »

I also lost wireless after the upgrade, however was able to modprobe the driver and was back in a few seconds.  Is it good general practice to 'depmod -aq' after a kernel upgrade?  Would 'depmod -aq' have re-listed/linked/found/modprobed any modules that were present prior to the upgrade without me having to know what was there before?  Sorry for all the questions; I'm just trying to have a better handle on this for the future.

cheers,
newt
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 08:56:43 am »

it looks like we really should have a kernel upgrade howto somewhere

1)download the kernels and install like any other package.
You will need the kernel and kernel-module packages, the kernel-src package is optional and only needed to build kernel and drivers

2)update your bootloader to add the new kernel, this can be done easily with vliloconf

3)install any extra driver packages needed by your system, these can be found by searching for the old kernel version in /var/log/packages
root:$ ls /var/log/packages/*2.6.27.12*
/var/log/packages/broadcom-wl-5.10.27.6_2.6.27.12-i586-1vl60

4)run depmod to update the kernel module dependancies
Code:
root:$ depmod -aq 2.6.27.29
depmod needs to be ran with the new kernels version as an argument or ran under the kernel you want the modules updated for.

5)reboot into the new kernel and verify that it is working correctly
run "depmod -aq" and reboot if not ran in lest step
This would include making sure your video driver was working and that you compiled a driver for the running kernel if needed.

6)remove old kernel and driver packages with removepkg
be careful not to remove the kernel-headers package even if it looks like an old version

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 01:41:31 pm by uelsk8s » Logged
Hiero2

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 12:35:54 pm »

Two or three important comments to make.

• 1. This is a local vulnerability. Not remote.
    sigh of relief
    See http://blog.cr0.org/2009/08/linux-null-pointer-dereference-due-to.html The impact is that if this is your home machine, and nobody but you is on it, I don't think you need to hurry and update.
  • 2. The kernel update portion of the howto is clear, and works great. BUT - my box wouldn't reboot into the gui, due to my nvidia drivers no longer being found/recognized/started (idk).
  • 3. Therefore, I would recommend anyone not intimately familiar with your hardware from the command line postpone the kernel update for a bit. IMHO, folks.

Hiero2
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 06:00:51 pm »

run vxconf so the nvidia kernel module can be built for this kernel version

Nothing doing. That is what I get.

Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel
If you know the  correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source   
path with the '--kernel-source-path' command line option.     

I tried verious options for "--kernel-source-path" none will bite.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 06:28:31 pm »

did you install the kernel-src package?
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/kernels/kernel-src-2.6.27.29-i686-1vl60.tlz
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 07:23:38 pm »

Yes I did, however, apparently wrong. Reinstalled and all is working now. Nvidia running. Cheesy
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 05:37:37 pm »

I just found that after installing the new kernel my sound is gone.

Running alsaconf detects my sound card and shows no errors running its course.
Yet ther is no sound.

:$ /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
/usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1616: No soundcards found...

:$ alsamixer
alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

:$ /sbin/lsmod | grep snd
snd_pcm                75268  0
snd_timer              20872  1 snd_pcm
snd                    54052  2 snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               7008  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          8712  1 snd_pcm

Should there not be more of them?

On booting it says starting alsa [OK]

And here:

:$ sudo /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa stop
Shutting down sound driver: amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory
amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1513: No soundcards found...

:$ sudo /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa start
Starting sound driver: snd-intel8x0 WARNING: Error inserting ac97_bus (/lib/modules/2.6.27.29/kernel/sound/misc/ac97_bus.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting snd_ac97_codec (/lib/modules/2.6.27.29/kernel/sound/pci/ac97/snd-ac97-codec.ko): Invalid module format
FATAL: Error inserting snd_intel8x0 (/lib/modules/2.6.27.29/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko): Invalid module format
done
ERROR: Could not load ALSA drivers

Help appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 06:57:16 pm by Pita » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 11:19:53 pm »

Yet ther is no sound.

And here:

Shutting down sound driver: amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory

Starting sound driver: snd-intel8x0 WARNING: Error inserting ac97_bus (/lib/modules/2.6.27.29/kernel/sound/misc/ac97_bus.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting snd_ac97_codec (/lib/modules/2.6.27.29/kernel/sound/pci/ac97/snd-ac97-codec.ko): Invalid module format
FATAL: Error inserting snd_intel8x0 (/lib/modules/2.6.27.29/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko): Invalid module format
done

Help appreciated!

SOLVED! Cheesy Cheesy

Reinstalled kernel and modules. Huh Huh
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2009, 03:59:24 pm »

I had some trouble today after I removed the old kernel files with removepkg and tried to update LILO to reflect the new kernel and no longer list the old, gone kernel. When I ran vliloconf, I got a message:
cannot find kernel (vmlinuz)
and vliloconf terminated. The same thing happened when I ran VASM to modify LILO.

I solved the problem by updating the symlinks for @System.map, @config, and @vmlinuz in /boot and then I reran vliloconf. LILO was updated and my reboot was successful. Had I been a total newbie, I would have freaked out, though.

I use the XP boot loader to chainload LILO and I had to go through a procedure twice. I had to remake my bootsect.lnx file that goes in C:\ by doing
dd if=/dev/hda6 of=/tmp/bootsect.lnx bs=1 count=512

Then I copied that file to /mnt/win-c. Then I did vliloconf and just to be safe, I ran
lilo -v
to make sure LILO was changed. I then rebooted and LILO offered the new kernel.

I'll be removing the old kernel files from another computer tomorrow and will see what happens with LILO there.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2009, 05:48:59 pm »

Yet ther is no sound.

And here:

done

Help appreciated!

SOLVED! Cheesy Cheesy

Reinstalled kernel and modules. Huh Huh

Rejoiced too early.
When I rebooted this morning the sound was gone again.
Reinstalling kernel and modules does not work this time.
This is now really ****. SadSad

All above error messages still apply.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2009, 06:23:31 am »

I had some trouble today after I removed the old kernel files with removepkg and tried to update LILO to reflect the new kernel and no longer list the old, gone kernel. When I ran vliloconf, I got a message:
cannot find kernel (vmlinuz)
and vliloconf terminated. The same thing happened when I ran VASM to modify LILO.

I solved the problem by updating the symlinks for @System.map, @config, and @vmlinuz in /boot and then I reran vliloconf. LILO was updated and my reboot was successful. Had I been a total newbie, I would have freaked out, though.

I use the XP boot loader to chainload LILO and I had to go through a procedure twice. I had to remake my bootsect.lnx file that goes in C:\ by doing
dd if=/dev/hda6 of=/tmp/bootsect.lnx bs=1 count=512

Then I copied that file to /mnt/win-c. Then I did vliloconf and just to be safe, I ran
lilo -v
to make sure LILO was changed. I then rebooted and LILO offered the new kernel.

I'll be removing the old kernel files from another computer tomorrow and will see what happens with LILO there.
--GrannyGeek
Reinstall the NEW kernel package after removal of the old kernel package will update symlinks
looks like another step for the howto  Smiley
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2009, 03:23:13 pm »

I have a royal mess right now on my laptop with the upgraded kernel. I can't boot into 2.6.27.29 and I've removed 2.6.27.12.

I had removed the old kernel before I read the message about running depmod. I have LILO on the /dev/hda6 boot sector. I use the XP boot loader to chain to LILO. However, my bootsect.lnx file is messed up and when I choose VectorLinux from the operating system choice screen, I get a screen of 99 99 99 going halfway down the screen, which goes no further into the boot process. This computer has no floppy drive and I don't want to put LILO into the MBR until I have a way to recover the MBR. I can't put in an XP recovery console with access to the FIXMBR command because of Service Pack 3, which is newer than the setup files on my Windows partition and the only XP installation disk I have won't work with an OEM version of Windows. (This computer came with a Recovery Disk, not a real installation disk.)

I can boot with the VL 6 Light CD, but it uses kernel 2.6.27.12 and my computer has 2.6.27.29, so no modules load. I need to boot into 2.6.27.29 in order to do the needed repairs but I can't seem to do it.

I burned a CD of VL 6 Light Live in hopes I could boot into /dev/hda6, my VectorLinux installation. VL6 Light Live includes the correct kernel version, but it offers no option to boot into an existing VL installation.

Is there anything I can do to fix this fiasco?

I upgraded another computer to 2.6.27.29 but haven't yet removed 2.6.27.29. I don't have any problems getting into 2.6.27.29 with the XP boot loader and LILO on /dev/hdb9's boot sector on that computer, but now I'm afraid to remove 2.6.27.12!

I'm writing this in VL6 Light Live and keeping my fingers crossed that someone can help me through this disaster.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2009, 06:32:20 pm »

granny,
Why do you need the modules loaded to rescue the system and make it boot the new kernel?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: