VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DANGER-Will Robinson!!  (Read 12929 times)

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: DANGER-Will Robinson!!
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2009, 08:36:47 pm »

granny,
Why do you need the modules loaded to rescue the system and make it boot the new kernel?

At the moment, I can't do much of anything. For example, I can't mount an NTFS drive. I can't fix the corrupted bootsect.lnx file because when I boot with the VL 6 Light CD, it uses the 2.6.27.12 kernel but the installation is using the 2.6.27.29 kernel. When I do the dd command to create the bootsect.lnx file, it sets up a wrong boot sector image and I get a screen of 99s when the XP boot loa.der tries to chain to /dev/hda6. I can't go online because there are no network modules. I have no sound. When I try to load modules with modprobe, I can't get the 2.6.27.29 modules loaded because the 2.6.27.12 kernel was loaded by the VL Light CD.

I'm sure this is fixable but I don't know how to do it. I haven't had a chance to see if I can get the LiveCD to boot me into my VL on /dev/hda6.

I forgot something that may be important. I was able to get the XP boot loader to display LILO, but when I pick "linux" or anything else (tui or gui) I get this message:
Loading linux EBDA is big; kernel setup stack overlaps LILO second stage.

I haven't googled on that yet. Will do it after I post this.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: DANGER-Will Robinson!!
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2009, 10:06:34 pm »

I'm back in business! I followed newt's suggestion in the VL Light Live 6.0 RC1 Feedback section and booted with the Light Live RC1 CD, tabbed for a more customizable boot option, and changed the command so that it reflected my installation on /dev/hda6. It worked! It got me into my installation with the 2.6.27.29 kernel and I was able to do
dd if=/dev/hda6 of=/tmp/bootsect.lnx bs=1 count=512
to get a proper bootsect.lnx file for the XP boot loader to use. I then checked the contents of lilo.conf, which were fine, and ran lilo -v. I copied bootsect.lnx to my FAT32 Windows Drive D and booted into XP. I then moved bootsect.lnx to C:\. I decided to copy it from inside Windows to avoid any funny business with the NTFS partition.

Holding my breath, I rebooted into VectorLinux through the XP boot loader. I got the LILO screen and had a successful boot into VL 6 Light on my /dev/hda6. Modules are all back. Now we'll see what happens tomorrow after a night of the computer being turned off.

Tomorrow I'll have to decide if I want to chance another Big Adventure when I remove the old kernel from my older desktop.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: 1 2 [3]