VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 02:48:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kernel header for VL 6.0 light [SOLVED]  (Read 1717 times)
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« on: August 21, 2009, 10:02:38 am »

Hi folks,

I'm quite a newbie to all things Linux and have only installed VL 6.0 Light today (like it a lot though, compared to Xubuntu, Zenwalk and Puppy).

Just trying to update pidgin (and I've had that problem before, trying to install a VPN Client): ./configure or ./vpn_install can't find any kernel headers. I've read somewhere that Light comes without them (whatever they are, hehe). Is that true? Can I download/install them from somewhere? And how exactly would I install them (if it's not just copying the file into the /usr/src/ dir.

Also, I wouldn't mind a word or two about what a kernel header actually is, but I guess I can get that off Wikipedia just as well ;-).

Many thanks in advance to any kind individual that is willing to help me here.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 04:34:07 am by henryxcrudos » Logged

VL Light 6.0 (Final built, 31/03/09, kernel 2.6.27.12).
Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
Registered Linux User no. 495460
Oh no! -> Tropic of Vector
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 10:24:44 am »

You can find the kernel-headers in the repositories
root:# slapt-get --show kernel-headers
Package Name: kernel-headers
Package Mirror: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/packages/
Package Priority: Default
Package Location: ./dev
Package Version: 2.6.24.5_smp-x86-2
Package Size: 1635 K
Package Installed Size: 9660 K
Package Required:   
Package Conflicts:
Package Suggests:
Package MD5 Sum:  1f16ff995717280476f849988861bd42
Package Description:
 kernel-headers (Linux kernel include files)

These are the include files from the Linux kernel.

You'll need these to compile most system software for Linux.

Package Installed: yes

This is actually a 6.0 light install.
I'm not sure, but I think the package manager will prevent you from installing these.
You can try
Code:
slapt-get -u && slapt-get -i kernel-headers
If that gives you any hiccups, you can install it manually using this code
Code:
installpkg http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/packages/dev/kernel-headers-2.6.24.5_smp-x86-2.tlz
or download the package manually with your browser and then install it using "installpkg <packagename>"

HTH

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 11:40:44 am »

VL6 comes with the kernel headers installed. You probably need the kernel sources:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/kernels/kernel-src-2.6.27.12-i686-1vl60.tlz
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 03:45:47 am »

Thanks, both!

I've slapt-get showed the kernel headers and it said (unfortunately my old laptop doesn't have a middle mouse button for Copy'n'Paste from xterm) that the kernel headers are installed (2.6.24.5_smp-x86-2). I guess I'll just have to find them (I probably gave the install scripts a wrong dir).

If I have any further queries, be sure I'll be back soon Smiley.

Many thanks indeed!

Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 03:13:06 pm »

I've slapt-get showed the kernel headers and it said (unfortunately my old laptop doesn't have a middle mouse button for Copy'n'Paste from xterm) that the kernel headers are installed (2.6.24.5_smp-x86-2). I guess I'll just have to find them (I probably gave the install scripts a wrong dir).

Pressing the left and right mouse button at the same time should do the same thing as a middle click. I don't know if you have to set anything up for this in /etc/xorg.conf.

According to the /var/log/packages/kernel-headers-2.6.24.5_smp-x86-2 file, the headers for 6.0 Light are installed in /usr/include.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 03:30:04 am »

Dear all,

So, the kernel headers and location are found Smiley. Cisco VPN Client still cannot be installed, but http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7995.msg64979#msg64979 says that it won't be possible anyway. Nevermind, I've found a workaround with vpnc which involves typing a few lines in xterm. Fair enough Smiley.

As for the "copying from xterm" issue, I've located xorg.conf but am not sure what parameters to change for enabling copy with middle mouse button (when I actually have a PS/2 mouse connected) or the Synaptics touchpad of my laptop. Perhaps you can help again?

Furthermore, is there a difference between the "Root Terminal" (started from Menu > System) and the xterm (started from the "Quick Launch bar", excuse the windowsism) apart from appearance (which seems to be changeable with parameters)?

Many thanks indeed for your suggestions!

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 04:48:37 am »

For the middle mouse button, try this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-431712.html
Scroll down to the entry about Option "ButtonMapping" "1 1 3 4 5"

The quick launch terminal gives you xterm as logged in (normal) user.
The "Root terminal" entry, which requires root password, gives you administrator privileges.
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 05:42:57 am »

Thanks, nightflier!

So instead of opening a root terminal, I can just su in a "normal" xterm. I just like the black screen better Wink.

As for your tip about xorg.conf, I'll check the site link you provided, thanks!

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 05:34:22 pm »

Using the left and right mouse buttons together to emulate a middle button is called chording. You mentioned a laptop, so I don't know what kind of pointing device you have. Touchpad? Eraserhead? Trackball? Regular mouse?

Before going through that procedure outlined in the Ubuntu forums, I'd try these one at a time. As root, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and find this section:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier  "Mouse0"

Before the line that says EndSection, copy these lines and paste them there:
# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
# Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)

Option "Emulate3Buttons"
    Option "Emulate3Timeout"    "50"

Save, exit the editor, type
exit
to go back to your user account, and type
startx
to start IceWM. Open a text editor and copy some text by swiping with the left mouse button. Then see if you can paste that text by pressing your left and right buttons at the same time. If so, you're done. If not, log out from IceWM, su to root, and edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf once more.

Delete the lines you added before because they don't work. Copy the following lines and paste them in the same place as the lines that didn't worki:

# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

Option "ChordMiddle"

Save the file, quit the editor, and type
exit
to return to your user account. Type
startx
to start up the GUI. Do the same test of copying by swiping and pasting with the left and right buttons together. If it works, you're all set. If it doesn't, I don't know what to suggest. Let us know if either of these works and if not, we'll see if we can come up with something else.

Start in linux-tui mode if you want to try these experiments. The /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is read whenever X is started, so you don't need to reboot, just exit to a text mode console, do any editing to xorg.conf, then run startx to start up the GUI.

I almost forgot: always back up xorg.conf before you make changes. Then, if your changes prove to be disastrous, you simply delete the xorg.conf file and rename your backup to xorg.conf and you'll be back where you were before you made changes.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 04:34:50 am »

SOLVED:

My kernel question was thoroughly answered. Thanks!

I am opening a new thread for the Copy'n'Paste problem.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: