VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: VL Light Live 6.0 RC1 Feedback  (Read 7169 times)

JohnB316

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
  • Registered Linux User #386728
VL Light Live 6.0 RC1 Feedback
« on: August 22, 2009, 05:48:26 pm »

Please post your comments, issues, etc., in this thread. Thanks for testing! :-)
VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.

newt

• Vectorian
Re: VL Light Live 6.0 RC1 Feedback
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 09:13:31 pm »

Fantastic release.  Everything seems to work as expected from the limited testing I've done.

I have a graphics card that does not seem to work with 'vesa' driver, but does with 'nv' or proprietary so not a big deal. (Abit Siluro FX5200 128mb AGP, if you're interested)

Opera still does not require used to agree to EULA, which is not a big deal in my book but may be to others - afterall by using their browser the user is agreeing to their terms ('rm -drf .opera' does the trick).

Installing the proprietary nvidia driver works great but does not add an 'nvidia settings manager' menu option. Again, not a big deal to me but may be to others.

I couldn't really find anything wrong so I had to nit-pick the small things :D

Extremely fast for a live distro - I'm impressed!!

Cheers to all involved!
newt

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 07:14:44 am »

It is necessary to run "System > Update Menu" to add the nVidia control panel.

I am a big Opera fan, but dislike it's default startup options. I wanted to give new users what I consider a better initial experience. If there may be legal issues involved, .opera will be removed.

newt

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 11:13:00 am »

Thanks for the info on updating the menu. I didn't know about that feature.  I'll give it a shot, but I'm sure it works.

I think a simple solution to the Opera license agreement would be just to edit /home/vl/.opera/opera6.ini and adjust the [State] 'Accept License=1' to 'Accept License=0'.  I tried this and it works; it forces the user to accept/no_accept the license and, if accepted, loads with your changed startup options - best of both worlds.

One other item I notice is that my mouse wheel is not effective - i.e. does not scroll. This may be 'by design' for best compatibility but thought I'd mention it.

BTW, this is posted from Light Live RC1 on a p3-1ghz, 256mbRam, AtiRage128 16mb, and it is as fast on this system as a MUCH newer system.  Great work to all involved!!!!

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 04:43:04 pm »

I'm writing this from VL Light Live 6 RC1 on my laptop. I intended to test it but was forced to do it right now because my VL 6 Light actual installation is unable to boot due problems related to the kernel update.

I use fixed IP addresses, so I did have to do some setting up of my network before I could connect to the Internet, but that was expected.

I hate the touchpad and use a regular USB mouse, whose scroll wheel is not working. Very annoying. I did run VASM and selected USB mouse with two buttons and a wheel, but the wheel doesn't work.

I would like to disable the touchpad but don't know how. I'd like to see that as an option in VASM because I know a lot of people don't like touchpads and want to disable them.

A regular VectorLinux installation CD offers the option to boot into an existing VL system. I couldn't find this option on the LiveCD. Is one available? That would be very useful for doing repairs to an existing system that uses the 2.6.27.29 kernel.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

newt

• Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 05:41:12 pm »

A regular VectorLinux installation CD offers the option to boot into an existing VL system. I couldn't find this option on the LiveCD. Is one available? That would be very useful for doing repairs to an existing system that uses the 2.6.27.29 kernel.
--GrannyGeek

Have you tried hitting 'Tab' at the boot options and then editing the boot line to boot your installed system.  I just tried it and it seems to have (somewhat) worked - X would not start but this particular system is still on the older (non-patched) kernel.
e.g. /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro

Daniel

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • TuxToys - Packages for VectorLinux 6.0
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 06:10:22 pm »

With the regular VL installation cds, the command to boot an installed system is (example) : linux root /dev/hda1 ro

Is there a difference between the command that I just mentioned and the one that newt mentioned? Or do both work equally well?
The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 06:40:47 pm »

Have you tried hitting 'Tab' at the boot options and then editing the boot line to boot your installed system.  I just tried it and it seems to have (somewhat) worked - X would not start but this particular system is still on the older (non-patched) kernel.

I did try hitting Tab but I entered the command that I use with the regular installation CD:
linux root=/dev/hda6 ro

I'll try it again with
/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 ro

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll post the results here.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

Pita

• Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 08:36:19 pm »

TOO BAAAD I can't configure my printers. No USB device showing in cups.

For scrolling with wheel one has to set the mouse Protocol to "Auto" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
Login as root first and set the mouse right. I am using "mc" for it.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 08:37:17 pm »

I would like to disable the touchpad but don't know how

Assuming using the synaptic touchpad driver:
Code: [Select]
synclient TouchpadOff=1

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 08:51:46 pm »

scroll wheel not working

In my testing I don't get scroll wheel action when using the "vesa" options.
If I choose "probe for video", or run vxconf, then it comes alive. Would y'all give that a try?

Pita

• Vectorian
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 09:04:22 pm »

TOO BAAAD I can't configure my printers. No USB device showing in cups.

For scrolling with wheel one has to set the mouse Protocol to "Auto" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
Login as root first and set the mouse right. I am using "mc" for it.

This was a booting with vga set to 791.

Rebooted with no -splash, second choice from top. Now USB device is showing in
cups and I can configure printers.

Rebooted once more with vga set to 791 and again no USB device showing.
Something nutty going on. ???

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 09:22:04 pm »

Yeah, I seem to recall your CUPS/USB issues going way back, some times working and some times not. It is possible that activating the framebuffer with vga=791 makes a difference. I remember trying some dev work on a flaky old box. If I used framebuffer it would produce errors when compressing large archives, but not when using vga=normal. "Normal" is the most conservative and safest choice.

Pita

• Vectorian
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 09:27:39 pm »

scroll wheel not working

If I choose "probe for video", or run vxconf, then it comes alive. Would y'all give that a try?

Used vxconf in active box did not start the scrolling.

Rebooted with "probe for video" and yes wheel scrolling works now. :D

Now I will have my nap.

Checked as well for printer setting with this booting mode: No USB device :'(

newt

• Vectorian
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 09:30:32 pm »

I just tried it and it seems to have (somewhat) worked - X would not start but this particular system is still on the older (non-patched) kernel.
I just tried this on my laptop (6StdGold w/ patched kernel) and it booted correctly.  Hopefully you're able to get back into your system in sufficient enough of a way to make repairs.  Good luck!!

scroll wheel not working

Yes, 'probe for video' works.  Thanks for the info nightflier - this is great!!

This release really look good to me.
Cheers!
Pages: [1] 2