VectorLinux
November 24, 2014, 04:05:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VL Light Live 6.0 RC1 Feedback  (Read 6644 times)
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« on: August 22, 2009, 04:48:26 pm »

Please post your comments, issues, etc., in this thread. Thanks for testing! :-)

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 08:13:31 pm »

Fantastic release.  Everything seems to work as expected from the limited testing I've done.

I have a graphics card that does not seem to work with 'vesa' driver, but does with 'nv' or proprietary so not a big deal. (Abit Siluro FX5200 128mb AGP, if you're interested)

Opera still does not require used to agree to EULA, which is not a big deal in my book but may be to others - afterall by using their browser the user is agreeing to their terms ('rm -drf .opera' does the trick).

Installing the proprietary nvidia driver works great but does not add an 'nvidia settings manager' menu option. Again, not a big deal to me but may be to others.

I couldn't really find anything wrong so I had to nit-pick the small things Cheesy

Extremely fast for a live distro - I'm impressed!!

Cheers to all involved!
newt
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 06:14:44 am »

It is necessary to run "System > Update Menu" to add the nVidia control panel.

I am a big Opera fan, but dislike it's default startup options. I wanted to give new users what I consider a better initial experience. If there may be legal issues involved, .opera will be removed.

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 10:13:00 am »

Thanks for the info on updating the menu. I didn't know about that feature.  I'll give it a shot, but I'm sure it works.

I think a simple solution to the Opera license agreement would be just to edit /home/vl/.opera/opera6.ini and adjust the [State] 'Accept License=1' to 'Accept License=0'.  I tried this and it works; it forces the user to accept/no_accept the license and, if accepted, loads with your changed startup options - best of both worlds.

One other item I notice is that my mouse wheel is not effective - i.e. does not scroll. This may be 'by design' for best compatibility but thought I'd mention it.

BTW, this is posted from Light Live RC1 on a p3-1ghz, 256mbRam, AtiRage128 16mb, and it is as fast on this system as a MUCH newer system.  Great work to all involved!!!!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 03:43:04 pm »

I'm writing this from VL Light Live 6 RC1 on my laptop. I intended to test it but was forced to do it right now because my VL 6 Light actual installation is unable to boot due problems related to the kernel update.

I use fixed IP addresses, so I did have to do some setting up of my network before I could connect to the Internet, but that was expected.

I hate the touchpad and use a regular USB mouse, whose scroll wheel is not working. Very annoying. I did run VASM and selected USB mouse with two buttons and a wheel, but the wheel doesn't work.

I would like to disable the touchpad but don't know how. I'd like to see that as an option in VASM because I know a lot of people don't like touchpads and want to disable them.

A regular VectorLinux installation CD offers the option to boot into an existing VL system. I couldn't find this option on the LiveCD. Is one available? That would be very useful for doing repairs to an existing system that uses the 2.6.27.29 kernel.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 04:41:12 pm »

A regular VectorLinux installation CD offers the option to boot into an existing VL system. I couldn't find this option on the LiveCD. Is one available? That would be very useful for doing repairs to an existing system that uses the 2.6.27.29 kernel.
--GrannyGeek

Have you tried hitting 'Tab' at the boot options and then editing the boot line to boot your installed system.  I just tried it and it seems to have (somewhat) worked - X would not start but this particular system is still on the older (non-patched) kernel.
e.g. /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 05:10:22 pm »

With the regular VL installation cds, the command to boot an installed system is (example) : linux root /dev/hda1 ro

Is there a difference between the command that I just mentioned and the one that newt mentioned? Or do both work equally well?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 05:40:47 pm »

Have you tried hitting 'Tab' at the boot options and then editing the boot line to boot your installed system.  I just tried it and it seems to have (somewhat) worked - X would not start but this particular system is still on the older (non-patched) kernel.

I did try hitting Tab but I entered the command that I use with the regular installation CD:
linux root=/dev/hda6 ro

I'll try it again with
/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 ro

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll post the results here.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 07:36:19 pm »

TOO BAAAD I can't configure my printers. No USB device showing in cups.

For scrolling with wheel one has to set the mouse Protocol to "Auto" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
Login as root first and set the mouse right. I am using "mc" for it.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 07:37:17 pm »

I would like to disable the touchpad but don't know how

Assuming using the synaptic touchpad driver:
Code:
synclient TouchpadOff=1
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 07:51:46 pm »

scroll wheel not working

In my testing I don't get scroll wheel action when using the "vesa" options.
If I choose "probe for video", or run vxconf, then it comes alive. Would y'all give that a try?
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 08:04:22 pm »

TOO BAAAD I can't configure my printers. No USB device showing in cups.

For scrolling with wheel one has to set the mouse Protocol to "Auto" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
Login as root first and set the mouse right. I am using "mc" for it.

This was a booting with vga set to 791.

Rebooted with no -splash, second choice from top. Now USB device is showing in
cups and I can configure printers.

Rebooted once more with vga set to 791 and again no USB device showing.
Something nutty going on. Huh
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 08:22:04 pm »

Yeah, I seem to recall your CUPS/USB issues going way back, some times working and some times not. It is possible that activating the framebuffer with vga=791 makes a difference. I remember trying some dev work on a flaky old box. If I used framebuffer it would produce errors when compressing large archives, but not when using vga=normal. "Normal" is the most conservative and safest choice.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 08:27:39 pm »

scroll wheel not working

If I choose "probe for video", or run vxconf, then it comes alive. Would y'all give that a try?

Used vxconf in active box did not start the scrolling.

Rebooted with "probe for video" and yes wheel scrolling works now. Cheesy

Now I will have my nap.

Checked as well for printer setting with this booting mode: No USB device Cry
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 08:30:32 pm »

I just tried it and it seems to have (somewhat) worked - X would not start but this particular system is still on the older (non-patched) kernel.
I just tried this on my laptop (6StdGold w/ patched kernel) and it booted correctly.  Hopefully you're able to get back into your system in sufficient enough of a way to make repairs.  Good luck!!

scroll wheel not working

Yes, 'probe for video' works.  Thanks for the info nightflier - this is great!!

This release really look good to me.
Cheers!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: