VectorLinux
August 29, 2014, 10:04:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cups is in starting scripts, but when I go to print, it isn't running [SOLVED]  (Read 1882 times)
Hiero2

« on: August 10, 2009, 11:55:12 am »

I go to VASM, and Cups starts in levels 3 and 4, if I remember, maybe it was 2 and 3. When I go to print after rebooting or logging out and back in, my printer is not there, and I have to restart Cups, after which my printer is visible again.

What's up? Or, where should I start looking to see what's up?

Mark
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 12:55:49 pm by Hiero2 » Logged
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 12:26:19 pm »

Is CUPS selected to start at boot? You can select/check this by going to VASM, Service, Services and seeing if the checkbox for CUPS is checked or not.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
Hiero2

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 06:30:23 pm »

Yup - I thot that was what I said. Cups is checked to start, at run levels 3 and 4.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 10:06:23 pm »

I noticed a similar problem after the last cups update on gslapt.  Three of our computers would not print after the update, even though cups was set to start in run level 4 and even though the program showed that cups was running. In any event, after a while, it seemed to fix itself.  I can't remember what I did.  I think I just disabled cups in run level 4 and re-enabled it.  Now they all work fine.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Hiero2

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 10:29:10 am »

Problem resolved. Turned out to be CUPS wasn't checked at the runlevel I was using. It was a result of not understanding how runlevels worked. I had to go out and figure that one out - and as a result I edited the Wikepedia runlevel entry to clarify it. I thought they ran sequentially, but - as any non-newb here knows, it is an either/or proposition.

Thanks all.
Hiero2
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: