VectorLinux
August 27, 2014, 04:49:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1033 times)
graeme

« on: August 23, 2009, 01:36:30 pm »

Hello everyone,

this is my first post on the VectorLinux boards. 

I am new to installing Linux.  In the past I have installed Solaris and used Linux in a command mode only with no X.

I have finally finally got Vector linux to work on an old PentiumII with 256+64Meg SDRAM and 4 GIG hard disk.  My first hassle was partitioning the disk, when the root filled up during the install, but now I just have a 512 meg swap and a root.

Next struggle was getting graphical modes to work.  But after a lucky guess in the set up it could use the card and screen.  But then ther was not working mouse.  This took me days to get working - a microsoft compatible serial mouse.  But eventually I tried gdm with different combinations of device and types, and eventually I found /dev/tts/0 and the action started, then I could get xorg.conf setting to do something.

My final challenge was a network card that refused to be noticed by the install.  A 3COM 3c509B combo.  It kept ginging the message Device or resource busy when trying to do something with ifconfig. The success with this ended up being to use DOS and the card install disk to turn of PnP, and try using different interrupt numbers.  I also tryed using the BIOS setting to say non PnP aware OS.  It seems that a 4 port USB card was being greedy and taking up all 4 spare interrupts in some dynamic way and leaving none for the ethernet card.  Eventually I found the /proc/ something /interrupts and there a spare one showed up.  (I have since lost this file).  When I set that number on the card it worked!  Smiley

At least now I have a useful computer!  The sound card is as yet unproven though.  Huh
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 03:29:55 pm »

Nice work.  I'm not sure I would have figured that all out.  Welcome to VectorLinux. Hope you like it here.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 07:16:20 pm »

Welcome to Vector.

With that kind of determination and observational skills, you'll do great with Linux.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: