VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 01:38:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Switching off" startup sound  (Read 1890 times)
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« on: August 24, 2009, 07:27:04 am »

Hi again,

I'm sitting in a library where you are supposed to be super-quiet, and whenever I fire up my machine, I get the fantastic, yet quite *loud* startup sound "inititating startup sequence".

I muted everything (and saved) in SoundMixer, and tried the alternative "alsamixer"/"alsactl store" xterm commands, but it still gives me the sound loud and clear on startup, which grows more and more embarrassing (can you imagine the number of "shhhhs" I got? Hahaha!).

SO, how do I switch it off? (Just temporarily, wouldn't wanna miss it in less sound-sensitive contexts!)

Thanks!
And "shhhhhhhhhh!" Wink
hXc

VL Light 6.0 (Final built, 31/03/09, kernel 2.6.27.12).
Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
Registered Linux User no. 495460
Oh no! -> Tropic of Vector
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:31:58 am »

Is this a live cd?

if it's not, you can edit your ~/.icewm/startup and comment the line that says "play .icewm/sounds/startup.wav &"

if it is a live cd, you can press ctrl+alt+F2 and log in as user "vl" and edit the same file applying the same changes.
THen press ctrl+alt+F7 to go back to the login prompt and it now should be quiet

henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 07:33:20 am »

Thanks. No, it's not a live CD Smiley.

Can I just comment out (#) the lines for startup and shutdown sounds?

EDIT: Oops, no such file found. Perhaps TOO new to Linux to find it. When I cd to ~ there is only Desktop/ given as dir. Then trying to cd to .icewm/ doesn't work (I suppose I don't see it because it it hidden (the colon before the dir name, huh?!))...

2nd EDIT: Found it... Duh!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 07:38:07 am by henryxcrudos » Logged

Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 07:48:50 am »

Okay, mission accomplished for startup.

Now for shutdown. I guess this will have to be done for the shutdown-dialog.sh. The code looks remotely like XML (but I guess is Lib Sh, from what I got off wikipedia)...

Tried to comment out the <action> tag that plays the shutdown sound just like I would in HTML (with <!-- and -->) which produced no effect in code colour in vi (I thought it would when this was a comment)...

Any help with this available, please?

Thanks a million!

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 09:34:46 am »

You figured out the startup sound, and you're also correct about the "shutdown-dialog.sh". Not bad.  Smiley

A quick and easy workaround would be to just open a root terminal and use one of these commands:
"reboot", "poweroff" or "killall pcmanfm icewm"

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 05:52:10 pm »

I would try renaming the sound files referenced in shutdown-dialog.sh. Then the script won't be able to find them, so no sounds will disturb the library's quiet.

I don't know how long the script will look for the files. Hopefully, the script will give up quickly.<g> It's worth a try and let us know what happens.

If you rename to something like xshutdown.wav, you can quickly change back to shutdown.wav when you actually want to hear the sounds.

Also, if you'd prefer different sounds for startup and shutdown, just rename the files to something like originalstartup.wav and copy your desired sound file to your ~/.icewm/sounds directory and rename it startup.wav or shutdown.wav.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: