VectorLinux
November 24, 2014, 06:47:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KDE 4.3.0  (Read 1790 times)
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« on: August 25, 2009, 11:34:18 am »

Don't call me a heretic, but I recently put Fedora 11 on my little netbook (Dell Mini 9) and updated everything until I got KDE 4.3.0 installed today. I have to say it is amazing. Before, I was using KDE 4.2.4 and liked it a lot. But I have to say that the KDE folks have really done a good job! I hope the next SOHO has KDE 4.3 as it is simply superb. The enhancements and features are really great. There are sweet little surprises all over this thing! I was watching a friend the other day explore Windows 7 (which actually looks like quite an improvement over Vista) and he was excited as he clicked on things and it surprised him with little improvements and such......that is the same experience I am having today. Sounds funny to be comparing the new KDE with Windows 7, but it is true. I think both pieces of software have improved in major ways!

The new Air theme is quite an improvement over the previous default plasma theme. Desktop effects are quite slick and believe it or not, they actually run fairly smoothly on my little netbook! New ways of opening files from your desktop are sweet. For example, I hovered over my home icon and it popped up a little box with the files and folders in my home folder, I then clicked on the folder I wanted to go to and was able to navigate directly to the file I wanted without even opening Dolphin! Quite improved in efficiency.

By dweeberkitty at 2009-08-25

Has anyone else given the new KDE 4.3 a try? How many of you have used or been using 4.2.x? What are your thoughts? They may be much different than mine!

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 11:40:20 am »

Check out what I got on my SOHO 6.0 Alpha build
http://upload.snelhest.org/images/090825SOHO.PNG

Ohh yeah... it's 4.3.0

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 12:26:06 pm »

Dweeberkitty & M0E-lnx:

I love you guys.  And by "love" I mean "envy."  And by "envy" I mean "hate with the fury of a thousand suns."

Just kidding, of course. Cry

M0E, pony up with some packages or you'll never, ever get that beer I owe you.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 12:30:19 pm »

Dweeberkitty & M0E-lnx:

M0E, pony up with some packages or you'll never, ever get that beer I owe you.

Tom

First first SOHO betas are just around the corner.
I can't give you packages to install in STD, because it will most likely do more damage than good there.
Keep your eyes open for the public beta release of SOHO-6.0 coming soon to your neighborhood repository Wink

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 12:38:56 pm »

Well ... okay then. Grin

Thanks M0E.  Eye will be wide open.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 04:20:17 pm »

Check out what I got on my SOHO 6.0 Alpha build
http://upload.snelhest.org/images/090825SOHO.PNG

Ohh yeah... it's 4.3.0

So what do you think of it so far? And I mean both the new SOHO and the new KDE.

Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 06:35:34 pm »

Well, I do develop the installer so..... I dunno what to say...... freakin awesome. But that's me

I'm not particuarly a KDE guy... not just KDE4... just haven't been a fan of KDE for a long time.
But I do like it. Probably wont keep it for myself but I think it's pretty good.
I like the plasma widgets Wink

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 06:28:42 pm »

Well, I do develop the installer so..... I dunno what to say...... freakin awesome. But that's me

I'm not particuarly a KDE guy... not just KDE4... just haven't been a fan of KDE for a long time.
But I do like it. Probably wont keep it for myself but I think it's pretty good.
I like the plasma widgets Wink

How is the installer coming? Has anything new gone into it since 6.0STD? I'm looking forward to it!

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 03:43:34 am »

Its coming quite well. So far, we have had better results with it since 6.0

Featurewise its about the same. Not too many changes to the ui to keep it sonsistant. One of the things that stands out is support for both grub and lilo.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: