VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 07:41:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help!! gslapt always gives "aaa_base" missing dependecy [SOLVED]  (Read 2436 times)
xirtyllo

« on: August 29, 2009, 02:03:21 am »

Hi everybody!
just installed Vector Linux 6.0 STD Gold on my Acer Aspire One, it goes like a charm!  Smiley

only thing i can't understand why most programs that i tried to install with gslapt showed an unmet dependency  aaa_base  and  glibc-solibsHuh

example:
" Excluding feh due to dependency failure "
" feh: Depends:   aaa_base >= 12.1.0-noarch-2 | glibc-solibs >= 2.7-i486-10 "

I tried both gslapt and slapt-get. working as root.
I have active the default repositories: "packages" "extra" "patches" "gsb 2.22" (<--what is gsb 2.22 by the way??)

I tried to install programs anyway, ignoring the dependency, and results varies:
cmake: works fine
feh: gives error due to missing library
avidemux: works fine
xfce4-power-manager: error, missing library
stardict: works fine

I would like to understand this issue, so to avoid to break my system already!
Thank you very much for any help!

xirtyllo
-------------------
Acer Aspire One AOA 110
Atom 1.60 Ghz CPU
512MB Ram
8GB SSD
Vector Linux 6.0 STD Gold
JWM
---------------------
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:27:42 pm by xirtyllo » Logged
xirtyllo

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 02:34:43 am »

OK!!  "aaa_base" "glibc-solibs"  dependency error is solved!  I was using a normal user account and started gslapt with su ->root.
For some reason restarting the system and logging in as root, the missing dependency error is not there anymore.

But still i get errors triying to install applications!

for example, trying to install evince it gives:
" Excluding evince due to dependency failure "
" poppler: Depends: libxml2 >= 2.6.31-i486-2 "

is it normal?
what should i do in these cases..? force poppler to install without deps and cross my fingers..?
and when you tell gslapt to install anyway ignoring dependency (or you use --ignore-dep with slapt-get) does it ignore just THAT particular dependency, or ALL the others also?

thanks a lot!

xirtyllo

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 03:16:04 am »

Do you enable the testing repo in slapt-get/gslapt?
xirtyllo

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 04:19:44 am »

no, i don't have "testing" enabled...

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 03:21:25 pm »

>> what is gsb 2.22 >>

Gnome Slackware something-or-other

It's where Gnome programs and dependencies are available.

Enable the testing repo and try again.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
xirtyllo

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 12:56:04 am »

Hi,
thanks for the info..

I think that i screw up things a bit when i mounted /var/log on a tmpfs filesystem (to save my SSD)...
now reading the documentation it says that the package manager stores some important configuration files there.. maybe that's the problem!

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 04:21:39 am »

Yes, all the package information is stored in /var/log. If in tmpfs, that disappears upon reboot, and all records of installed/removed packages with it.
xirtyllo

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 11:27:03 pm »

Do you know if there is a way to tell the package manager to store the package information in another directory..?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 05:16:54 am »

I suspect you'd have to do some creative hacking to make that happen. Either with the source of the package manager, or maybe have a startup script that replaces /var/log with a symlink to somewhere else. It could be educational, but be prepared for surprises. A lot of information is kept in the various logs.

I can understand your concern, as I am running off a CF card myself: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=4564.0
However, as I understand it, SSD's are designed as hard drive replacements. They should last for years in normal use. By the time it wears out you'll probably be ready for an upgrade, and the price will have come way down.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: