VectorLinux
August 23, 2014, 07:02:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Blog like a maniac!  (Read 9016 times)
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« on: August 31, 2009, 08:52:35 am »

I guess creating (searchable) blogs about VectorLinux could help spread the word. I can't count the times I've landed on blogs when searching for linux-related answers.

I know, M0E-lnx has got one. I've just started one myself (not a lot there yet, but I have a lot of posts in mind).

Also, twittering (yikes, my opinion) is the way to go I guess. A facebook official page?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:15:05 am by henryxcrudos » Logged

VL Light 6.0 (Final built, 31/03/09, kernel 2.6.27.12).
Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
Registered Linux User no. 495460
Oh no! -> Tropic of Vector
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 09:33:50 am »

I very much agree. I think that things like what you mentioned (Facebook,blogs...) would be good. I mentioned something like this here: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=10255.0

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 09:45:11 am »

Here is my view on the marketing of an opensource project such as VectorLinux.  I think it is up to the community to get the word out there.  I don't want the developers to have to think about anything other than how are they going to make the next release better.  The time they commit to getting the word out is time away from writing a better line of code. 

I agree with the social networking angle.  Sites like twitter and identi.ca have been helpful for drawing in hits to www.opensourcebistro.com(my site)other than from VectorLinux.  Twitter is the clear winner in this regard.  There are several groups on identi.ca / twitter for slackware, arch, ubuntu of course, but none for VectorLinux.  It would be easy enough to form.  Perhaps all of us with a web page or blog could post to twitter, identi.ca or facebook, each time we create something new.  We could also use sites like digg.com, stumbleupon and vote up each others pages there to give them better ranking.

Ranking means a lot for these kind of networking sites so if the community can get behind voting up the rank of a page it will get more exposure.  As a group of course we could vote up each others pages as they are posted.  Also including links to each others sites (i.e. I put a link on my site to your blog) will help with page ranking in Google and other search engines.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:15:53 am »

I'm really not all that into blogging and social networking... I've always thought it's pointless.
I personally dont get the whole concept behind twitter. I dont feel like I need to tell the world every step I take, I think there are much better things for me to do.

Like I stated on my blog, I dont plan on posting a whole lot of things in it... I just want to keep a descent collection of personal notes and maybe help somebody else out in the process.

I do think it's cool that when you google for something like "NX Vectorlinux" my blog comes up... and that's because there is really not a whole lot of documentation out there on the subject.
That's exactly where I want to target.

If anybody does twitter and facebook and all of that stuff out there, by all means, go ahead... It can't hurt (can it?)

FWIW, I do not follow any one blog or anyone on twitter, facebook, dont have a myspace
(yeah... i'm that boring)..

[EDIT]
BTW, I have one of those C610 laptops laying around the house.
it has serious hardware problems, it belongs to a friend who wanted me to fix it but is not willing to replace the bad hardware. Wink
debating what to do with at this point
I would have liked to try VL in it and see how it does with it. [/EDIT]
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:20:47 am by M0E-lnx » Logged

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 10:26:53 am »

I'm with you MOE.  I only twitter when I release a new tutorial, not when I decide to try a new breakfast cereal. Smiley  I am amazed that people can even find the postings in the hoard that get posted every couple of minutes, but they do.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 10:33:28 am »

I'm amazed @ people that do twitter every time they change the channel on their TV.

What's more amazing is people that out of all people, the president of the united states is twitting something like "About to go into a meeting... blah, blah, blah.

I would think somebody with a job like his would have more important things to do than twitting.

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 10:50:04 am »

I suppose you have a way of seeing how many hits to your site you have a day.  I've just twittered your blog page for the nx setup as well as posted on identi.ca.  Really is just a copy past operation once it is set up.  I'd be interested if you get more hits.

Also, I'd say you qualify as one of the brains behind this operation, so I agree your time is better served doing something other than twittering.  Got a 1:00 to 9:00 shift to day and I'm running late.  I'll check into this thread later.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 10:59:54 am »

didn't even know what ident.ca was until you posted that and I googled Wink

LMAO @ myself Wink

henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 11:23:32 am »

Glad I've triggered a little discussion here! Smiley

I think two important points (with a few subpoints) have been made:

1) The whole social networking sector of "marketing" should solely be done by the community, it shouldn't be in the responsibility of the dev group at all (although there will of course be some overlap).

2) In general, social networking is a good tool for spreading the word.

a) Twitter: Personally I've never quite understood the whole hype about twitter, but I guess it's what's there, so why not use it to spread the word. Hashtag all uses of "VectorLinux" e.g. As twitter doesn't (seem to) know groups, hashtagging seems to be the only way. And all that's left to hope for is that the community doesn't post "tweets" like "I just switched over to BBC World because the duckies in the documentary look so cute, and #VectorLinux is still booting". Cheesy I don't know identi.ca (just checked it), then again, I'm not Canadian Wink. Seems to be very similar to twitter.

b) facebook: Personally, I never bothered. I've done a bit of the myspacing for other reasons (band) and that worked fine, but for an OpenSource Linux distro, this wouldn't be a useful thing. facebook might be interesting. I'm not sure about having this run by the community, since it would be useful to have just one "official" facebook account, wouldn't it? Or simply, everyone with a facebook account should join a group (can that be done on fb?) called "VectorLinux". I don't have one and don't want one, so it's safe for me to suggest such a thing Wink.

Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 11:27:49 am »

Oh, and about the C610, it runs like a devil since VL touched ground. Was quite the snail with W*n 2k before. Grin

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 11:31:57 am »

Since everyone is doing it, it would only seem competitive for us to have an "official" group, but you can rest assured, I will not be the one to start it or keep up with it Wink

In my opinion this sort of thing is kind of good, but can't be good forever.
Think myspace. A year ago, myspace was the biggest thing out there...  a few months ago, they made the news yet again, only this time, to report that they're going broke... so, I think, that is the end result of most of these sites or companies built on these sites.

They're only the best thing out there for so long. Nex thing you know nobody will be twitting, nobody will remeber what fb or myspace is...

I think IRC has stuck for years though Wink

henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 11:39:41 am »

Yea, but think, by the time twitter goes gelly up and facebook kicks the bucket, VL will be the queen of distros  Cheesy Wink... And of course news of this will spread over IRC Grin.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 11:41:15 am »

LMAO

Can't say that's not a possibility.

henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 11:58:04 am »

Btw: VL is in the top 20 of page hits on distrowatch. Way before xubuntu (I'm personally satisfied!). Getting there Wink

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 11:51:44 pm »

I like idea of blogging about VL.  In fact I've been blogging about it for some time.
As a way to 'aggregate' to this 'VL bloggers community', I think I'd be cool if everyone put a vl logo at the top of the page, I'd be like a badge.

I've already added the same logo you (henryxcrudos) have on the top-right corner.

Btw, I appreciate your enthusiasm.  Marketing is one area where we need to put forces on.

Some time ago, we talked about prepairing an electronic magazine with tutorials and articles written by vl users and devs.  I think the project got somewhat stalled.  Let's see if one of the project pushers joins the thread tell us how's it going.

Cheers

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: