VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 04:01:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: howdy  (Read 1237 times)
nybronx

« on: August 31, 2009, 06:12:39 pm »

Ex-PCLOS user here.....1st let me say you guys have done a wonderful job with this distro.....putting the faith in Linux back in this old body..... I have a pIII Dell Inspiron with 256mb of memory and am using it to write this.....been looking for a distro that unlike Puppy/Dsl/nimbleX and others ( alot others) just worked....Vector lite has met and exceeded my needs.... Have been a fan of Linux since my first CD back in the 80's flirted with distros on and off for years...Thanks to Vista...went to Mint (nice on the work pc I must say) and now my 1990's lappy is working like a champ....thanks  nick is nybronx and glad to find you...
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 06:16:53 pm »

Cool story, Welcome aboard
There is plenty more where that came from Wink

henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 11:29:35 pm »

Hi!

I've had the same experience on my old Latitude laptop. VL Light just runs, and runs, and runs...

VL Light 6.0 (Final built, 31/03/09, kernel 2.6.27.12).
Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
Registered Linux User no. 495460
Oh no! -> Tropic of Vector
graeme

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 04:40:34 am »

Is there any guidance on how to make Vector lite run even faster?   Particularly start faster. Are there modules that we don't need to run, or ways to clear out this limited memory?  I must admit that it is somewhat better in speed than the old XP that was on the box.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 05:09:15 am »

Is there any guidance on how to make Vector lite run even faster?

Choosing JWM instead of IceWM will speed things up some. If you use KDM, it can be set to auto-login using the "KDM Setup" entry on the system menu.

Furthermore, turning off desktop icons and wallpaper helps. Open the "Welcome" document and scroll down to find instructions on how to do this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: