VectorLinux
April 15, 2014, 11:27:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Screencasting VL install?  (Read 2009 times)
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« on: September 03, 2009, 06:42:49 am »

Says the Vectorbie Questions forum "There Is No Such Thing As A 'Dumb Question'!".
Says I "I shall defy this notion and prove it wrong!".

So, I was thinking about creating a "video" ("screencast" rather) of an installation of VL Light on my laptop. I'm a newcomer to screencasting, the only thing I've done so far is FRAPSing a mission of GTA San Andreas in W*****s a few years back Cheesy.

I cannot imagine how screencasting an installation procedure would work, as it includes partitioning, rebooting, and such.

Can anyone please point
- me into the right direction as to where I might start researching? Or suggest an application / a way of how to achieve this?
- my nose to the fact that this cannot possibly be achieved, for logical reasons?

In advanced thankfulness,
Yours truly

VL Light 6.0 (Final built, 31/03/09, kernel 2.6.27.12).
Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
Registered Linux User no. 495460
Oh no! -> Tropic of Vector
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 07:01:09 am »

All installation screencasts I've seen are done inside a virtual machine (vmware or virtualbox)

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 07:07:35 am »

definitely virtual environment

henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:11:36 am »

Okay, as I don't think my PIII laptop w/ 256 MB RAM and a 10GB HD will be able to host Virtualbox (or will it?), a hardware based solution is what it's got to be. I guess.

Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 07:12:13 am »

There are already a number of great screencasts available, made by stretchedthin:
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 01:57:11 pm »

I'm working on an entire section for installation.
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/01.Installation/page
The text install is in there as well as others.  Seems I'm not doing a very good job getting the word out though. Cheesy
You've got a good head for marketing and promotion henryxcrudos...maybe you could give me some ideas.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 02:17:45 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 03:20:10 pm »

Well, yeah with that type of hardware I don't think you can get much done.

I'd start getting handy with an old vcr or dvr(dvr would be better) and feeding the video through some type of external recording device.

Prolly not the best way though

henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 01:32:39 am »

I've more or less abandoned the whole idea this morning, as OSB has it all anyway. To set you at ease, strechedthin, I have actually watched your vid about the text installer to find out how you did it Cheesy, but for some (stupid) reason I thought it would be fun to do my own Huh. Some megalomania involved on my part, I'm afraid Undecided.

I read somewhere in the forum yesterday (I think it must have been that tripleRsystem marketing battle in General marketing) that it's stupid to decentralize things like documentation, howtos, etc. Can't remember who said it (and too lazy to look it up) but he/she *definitely* had a point.

Someone also was saying that OSB itself was a BAD IDEA, which I don't think. It was a bit misleading for myself first, that a whole library of screencasts was hosted off-site from VL.com, but I was pointed there from within this very forum, so I got there and it doesn't really matter that the browser bar didn't show VL.com.

As for marketing ideas for OSB: what about opensourcebistro freemail for everyone, hahaha. And seriously, I think posting your howtos in the howto section is all the marketing you need. You will be aware that a freeform G**gle search with keywords "vectorlinux video" and "vectorlinux screencast" give your "Linux Video Tutorials on VectorLinux. (Independent effort..for the time being.)" thread as second and third result respectively, so everybody that is actually looking for a vid/SC instead of plaintext help will find you. Great job!

Thanks, everyone!

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 01:44:04 am »

Maybe we should put a link in the main vl page (in the apropiate section, that I don't know which is atm).

Many people just don't enter the forums and aren't aware of what is happening inside the vl community. 
We should publish a little more about vlcore ( http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/trac/vlcore/ ) . It's the site where we want to derive the main development of future versions of VL and vl projects.

Obviously, we're open to new volunteers.

Cheers

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: