VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 11:12:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: gslapt - gksu and a root terminal: broken! VL6  (Read 2965 times)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: September 06, 2009, 03:10:08 pm »

For some time now I have noticed, on certain occasions, that launching gslapt from the xfce menu and then typing in my root password results in nothing happening. However, gksu and gslapt are now in the process list, without a gslapt window!

However, launching "gslapt" from a root terminal always works.

I notice that this only happens if one already has a root terminal open! Can anyone else duplicate this? Notice if you close the root terminal then gslapt launches just fine using the menu item and gksu.

I don't know a solution for this and maybe it has already been reported, but here it is anyways, for the next version of VL....

Larry 

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 03:33:59 pm »

I just tested this on VL6 Light Live and soho alpha, both worked correctly. I had a terminal open (xterm and konsole, respectively) logged into root, and ran the menu 'gslapt' option. I was prompted for password, supplied it, and gslapt opened correctly.  Both of these tests were on fresh installs so perhaps the issue is related to updates that have taken place since the fresh install.  I will check on my laptop (VL6 Standard + updates; kernel too) and report back.

edit: just checked my laptop and it also works fine given the scenario above (open xterm, logged into root, start gslapt, opens normally).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 03:58:13 pm by newt » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 05:44:18 am »

I did see this behavior in early Light development. Remember it was mainly on "first boot".

In Light Final, a different (older) version of gksu was used to avoid gsb deps. This may be a factor in troubleshooting.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 04:27:37 pm »

I see the same behaviour under 6.0 Standard. Most often when using the Thunar context menu to install or update a package. No idea what sets it off, but it can be annoying...

paul.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 11:22:28 am »

gksu is definitely broken. I bypassed vsuper and put a trace on gksu and it just hangs at certain times - works at others. Could not find out why or where.

When I replace gksu with kdesu all works fine again. Simply replaced "gksu" with "kdesu" in vasmCC.desktop and gslapt.desktop ....

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: