VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 06:11:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can A Little MP3 Player Be Used With VectorLinux?  (Read 2484 times)
Penguinista
« on: September 08, 2009, 12:10:35 pm »

I am interested in buying one of those little mp3 players and I was wondering if it is possible to transfer mp3 files to them from my VL SOHO 5.9.1 system via a USB plug? They usually come packaged with a USB interface and Windows software.
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 03:04:34 pm »

I was wondering if it is possible to transfer mp3 files to them from my VL SOHO 5.9.1 system via a USB plug? They usually come packaged with a USB interface and Windows software.

Yes, you just copy and paste or drag the files over to the mp3 player after opening the mp3 player in konqueror. I am running VL 5.9.1 SOHO and that's what I did. For an ipod you might be able to do the same thing but gtkpod works with ipods if the first method doesn't work.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:05:26 pm »

This really depends on the kind of mp3 player. If you can just drag and drop mp3 / mp4 / wma / whatever files in windows onto the player, then it should work in Linux too. Those players are seen as external storage when you connect them.

Some other players require the use of special software to "convert" your mp3 file to some weird format (often, it's pretty much the same file but with a different header), or to transfer files to it.

I used the very simplest of mp3 players for quite a while, an USB-key with some buttons and a monochrome lcd on it. Worked like a charm, because as far as the computer is concerned it's just another USB-key. I only stopped using it because I got myself a telephone that also plays music. Bringing a separate mp3 player seemed a little redundant.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Penguinista
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 03:28:53 pm »

Thanks all, I'll buy one then and give it a go.  Smiley
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 03:01:03 am »

The Windows software with non-ipod mp3 players is to update the database of songs so it is searchable and you can set up playlists etc.

Yes it is easy to get the music on to the player, but the actual playing experience may be limited. I ended up packaging such a program (pmplib) so my kids could use their iRiver mp3 players comfortably.

That being said, my mp3 playing phone (like the Headacher) is quite good to use without database software because I don't have much music on it. So I guess lack of a database only matters if the player has a big capacity.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: