VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 03:39:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Ubuntu derivative  (Read 2402 times)
Lyn
Vectorian

« on: September 10, 2009, 12:09:55 am »

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7520/1.html for a review of Lubuntu - what is interesting is its comparison with xbuntu which seems to be slower than Ubuntu, would be interesting if there was a comparison between Vector Light and it... anyone done any benchmarks?
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 02:12:57 am »

Looks as if this might in fact be new competition. I've been pointed towards this distro by a comment on my blog, and as things are, a lot of users with older hardware will now probably turn to Lubuntu because of *buntu's general "fame".

However, I remember to have heard that LXDE is still slower than IceWM and I wouldn't switch to Lubuntu now (for philosophical reasons as well as others  Wink). However, this might be a call to engage in further marketing activity perhaps. Even guerilla tactics like pointing people in Lubuntu-related posts to VL...

My guess. Roll Eyes

VL Light 6.0 (Final built, 31/03/09, kernel 2.6.27.12).
Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
Registered Linux User no. 495460
Oh no! -> Tropic of Vector
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 02:52:30 am »

D'uh! Shocked
Just found out that LXDE is a desktop environment, not a WM. So my memory must trick me...
Note to myself: learn more about basics! Cheesy

Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 03:41:54 am »

As a Vector user I tend to get annoyed by posts in various forums or in discussions that basically rubish various distros and point to the poster's favourite distro... so I tend to think that sort of post a bit self defeating, however I would like to see some genuine bench marks tests, maybe there is an article there for someone.... look at the netbook spins of popular distros too...
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 08:49:15 am »

On second thought, I think you're right. Such comments are indeed annoying.

As for benchmarking, I am going to try to test both systems, as I want to re-install VL Light freshly on my laptop anyway (to get rid of some mess caused by newbieness), so why not try to check Lubuntu on it as well. I can't promise anything (not even that I will be able to install the benchmark suite of my choice), but we'll see. If I get there, I'll post the results of course. If not, you'll hear from me a lot in the Vectorbie Questions thread, asking stuff about installing a benchmark suite Cheesy.

nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 04:31:38 pm »

A genuine bench mark test would certainly be interesting!  I haven't used Ubuntu/Xubuntu since I first started in Linux.  I did find Xubuntu to be about as slow as Ubuntu.  Now about LXde,...I've used it recently on just plain Debian Lenny,...and found it to be pretty swift!  (I really didn't like the fact that I couldn't customize my desktop or icons the way I can in Xfce).   And to top it all off,....I just use the standard Vector 6 on my older PIII computer,...and I find that it's just veeeeeery quick and responsive, using just Xfce.

Yes,...some really good un-biased bench mark tests would be good.
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 10:45:49 am »

Okay, well, I'm on the case.

Downloaded, burned and run both the LUbuntu 9.10 b14 and b23 isos, and they ran fine, just with no option to install (understandable but still Sad). And I really want to run the tests on freshly installed LUbuntu and VL. So all that's left to do for now is wait. Too bad, I was really looking forward to testing them against one another...

nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 05:42:46 pm »

Leapin' Lizards, Batman!  I just started using LXde in the Standard Vector 6,...and it runs like a scalded rabbit!  That's not a real scientific bench mark test, of course,....but I'm impressed, for sure. Would sure like to see some real results to compare to that Lubuntu....
Bjrnarlinux

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 09:35:12 am »

Personally i wouldn't be to worried. It seems to me that this is more for those who are fed up with Xubuntu and want to stay in the *buntu family. Honestly Xubuntu could use some competion as the fast *buntu.

Life is Beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.

Leon Trotskys last words
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 10:24:41 am »

Okay, as Lubuntu ain't available for installation and benchmarking yet, I've tested VL Light 6.0 vs. Zenwalk 6.0 as aperitif (http://wp.me/pCEQi-2q). Not sure what these benchmarks tell me, though I've attempted a conclusion...

Let me know what you figure!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: