VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 05:48:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Opera 10  (Read 1602 times)
graeme

« on: September 03, 2009, 04:34:32 am »

Today Opera came up with a message saying that Opera version 10.0 is now available.  But when asked at the download page, http://www.opera.com/download/ I could not tell what variety to down load.  There were choices of Debian to Xandros, but no Vector.  What do I pick?  Or do I have to wait for some one to comile the sources on a Vector system?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 04:57:23 am »

You can use the Slackware (11.0, 12.0, 12.1, 12.2) version. It is installed by de-compressing the package and running an included script.

Issues to consider: You should uninstall previous version using gslapt first. There is no uninstall script included in the "factory version". Sticking to VL releases simplifies things. My recommendation is to wait a week or so and see if an update becomes available in the repository.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 06:58:11 pm »

I have never found it necessary to uninstall a previous version of Opera when I'm installing a new version, and I've always installed the version Opera provides and have not waited for a VL package. Opera creates a new folder for the new version in /usr/lib. It's true that some files from the old version will be overwritten at other places on the system (/usr/share/opera, for example, the executable in /usr/bin, some files in /etc).

I installed Opera 10 on two computers today (VL6 Standard and VL6 Light). I'll put it on the third computer either later today or tomorrow. I downloaded the version for Slackware 12.1 as nightflier mentioned. So far everything has worked very well--even better than Opera 9.64.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:47:52 pm »

I do the same thing, Granny. I know that Opera is staying, and have no need for an uninstaller.
vonbiber

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 04:51:57 am »

on slackware I always build opera from source
on my current slackware 12.2 I'm still using opera 9.64
but I built opera 10 for slax (a live linux system based on slackware)
Neither my slackware system nor slax have the qt4 libraries installed.
The source I downloaded was this:

opera-10.00.gcc4-shared-qt3.i386.tar.bz2

So, depending of the architecture (32-bit or 64-bit) of your vector distro
and the presence of the qt4 libraries, if you want to build yourself
the package you must select the source archive accordingly
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 10:19:02 am »

I believe I downloaded the same thing for Slackware and installed it on one computer:
opera-10.00.gcc4-shared-qt3.i386.tar.bz2

I didn't have to compile it, however. I think there was an install script included after I untarred the file. I ran that as root and the installation proceeded with no further work from me except to answer the usual questions about accepting the defaults.

The package in the VL repo wants qt4. I'm not in a tight space situation on my computers, so I don't care if qt4 gets installed. It doesn't bother qt3.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: