VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 08:53:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: lzma: decoder error using tar with lzma [Solved]  (Read 3536 times)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: September 15, 2009, 07:11:23 am »

I am attempting to remaster VL6.0 Standard for a small charity I volunteer with. I have done this with VL5.9 but using the tar.bz2 files, not .tlz files.

I am using the versions of tar and lzma in VL6.0 (tar is v1.22, lzma is v4.32.0beta3).

I am attempting to pack vlconfig.tlz using this command:

tar cfa /home/media/veclinux/vlconfig.tlz .

It works to a point. I have now tried it twice - the first time I get a file 248MB large, the second time 438MB large - same command, no error messages. When the installer attempts to unpack veclinux.tlz it does so for a while then crashes with the error "....cannot extract veclinux.tlz. There is a problem with the file or your partition is full". My partition is not full.

Also, when I use "mc" to attempt to unpack the .tlz it falls over with a "lzma: Decoder Error".

I suspect either a tar or lzma bug due to differences in packing sizes for two runs with no errors and then the unpacking error.

Has anyone noticed similar or does anyone have any suggestions (other than trying up to date versions of tar and lzma?).

Larry
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 08:51:18 am by lagagnon » Logged

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 07:26:25 am »

As per Uel's instructions, this is how I create the bulk archives:

First, change into directory with the expanded bulk contents, then:
Code:
tar cpO * | lzma -7 >../path/to/bulk/package.tlz
That's a captial "o", not a zero. The "-7" specifies compression ratio, from 1 to 9 (7 is default).
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 08:51:00 am »

Thanks for that nightflier - it worked, but my problem was deeper than that! I had overclocked this machine 3-4 years ago but neglected to increase the CPU core voltage. So using lzma (takes about 40-80 minutes of 100% CPU time) was stressing the CPU and causing CPU errors (discovered with mprime95). Once I increased CPU core voltage everything just worked as expected.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: