VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 07:04:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: eBook Reader software?  (Read 2996 times)
vans

« on: September 15, 2009, 08:16:58 am »

Hi, I am running VL Standard and I have a number of eBooks I have collected over the years in different formats. These include pdb, rtf, html, prc and lit.

Is there any software that will read all or some of these formats?

Thanks
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 12:52:25 am »

While waiting for more qualified replies, you could try MS Reader under wine...

VL Light 6.0 (Final built, 31/03/09, kernel 2.6.27.12).
Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
Registered Linux User no. 495460
Oh no! -> Tropic of Vector
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 12:54:34 am »

Also, perhaps this thread in another forum might help...

Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 10:50:05 pm »

I've read that iSilo works under wine without any trouble as well.
I did find this article about three opensource readers ...
http://ostatic.com/blog/three-open-source-e-book-readers-worth-a-look
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 11:18:10 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
vans

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 12:01:03 am »

Thanks for all the replies. I have also found a package called FBreader http://www.fbreader.org/desktop/. However, I did not know which linux version t download, so I went for "other".

It seemed to load, but I cannot get it to run. To run a package, do I just type the package name in a terminal?

Thanks
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 03:49:52 am »

Hi,

well, what you have downloaded isn't really a "package" but probably the source code in a tarball. You usually have to "compile" it from source, which sounds more difficult than it is.

What you *usually* do is simply this:
- Extract the tarball (on the homepage it says "extract in root directory, so try to place it there):
# tar xzvf [yourtarball.tgz]
This will extract the files to a new directory of the same name as the tarball

- *Read any files that are called INSTALL, README, etc.*
I usually do that in vi and make sure I get all the info that's in the files, they usually say something about things you have to take care of in the compiling process

- If you can't find any special instructions you have to follow, configure the source for your system:
# ./configure

- If you get no error messages, you seem to be good to go, so next step is make:
# make

- Again, no error messages (not sure if you get error messages at this stage) you can do the install itself:
# make install

Now you should have the app installed. Before running "make install" you can "make test" test the Makefile, and you can clean up all the files you don't need anymore with "make clean".

- If all worked well, you should be able to just type in the name of the app in a terminal and the thing should be running.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 12:03:51 pm »

For the final step, I suggest
makepkg
rather than
make install

makepkg will produce a tlz package that will make entries in the VL package managing system, with easier removal and updates. For personal use you don't need to compile on a clean box. That's necessary only if a package is destined for the repos.

You run makepkg as root. I'm not sure of the syntax for a package for personal use. Maybe
makepkg fbreader.tlz
is sufficient. I hope someone who knows the answer will step in.

After the package is created, you install it as root by typing
installpkg fbreader.tlz
(if that's the name of the package).
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 02:23:53 pm »

The site at fbreader.org offers several linux packages for download.  The first few are packages compiled for Ubuntu/Debian, Fedora Core, Altlinux and OpenSuse.  These will install with a single click on the intended operating system.  You should download the last available package on the list under the heading "Other linux distributions".  This package is a precompiled binary compressed in .tgz format.  It does not need to be compiled.

Extract the files from the compressed archive to the root directory.  This should place the files in the required locations at /usr/bin, /usr/lib and /usr/share system directories or you may extract the files in your download directory and copy them to the intended target folders.  You must log in as "root" in order to copy or extract files to the root directory.

Note that FBReader depends on expat and libbz2 which may very well be installed on your system already.  Once you have completed this process you may start the program by typing ./FBreader in console or at the command line.  Once you have logged back in under your user name you can create a menu entry or drag /usr/bin/FBReader to the desktop depending on which desktop environment or window manager that you are using.  The icon for the application will be in /usr/share/pixmaps.  There will also be a fbreader.desktop file placed /usr/share/applications so if you use a kde or other similar desktop environment FBReader may automatically added to the menu. 

Custom Mini-Itx - VL6.0 Light
tbrown

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 09:38:44 am »

I too need an ebook reader. I downloaded the FBReader tarball binaries (not source code) and installed according to instructions on the web site which DawnsBoy repeated. FBRreader does require two libraries, expat and libbz2, which seem to be available in my VL 5.9 Standard system.

/usr/lib/libexpat.so.0
/usr/lib/libexpat.so.1
/usr/lib/libexpat.a
/usr/lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0
/usr/lib/libexpat.so.1.5.2
/usr/lib/libexpat.la
/usr/lib/libexpat.so

/lib/libbz2.so.1.0.4
/lib/libbz2.so.1
/lib/libbz2.so.1.0
/opt/lampp/lib/libbz2.so.1.0
/opt/lampp/lib/libbz2.so.1.0.4
/usr/lib/libbz2.a
/usr/lib/libbz2.so

However, when I try to run FBReader, I get the following error.

FBReader: error while loading shared libraries: liblinebreak.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So there is a third dependency, linebreak, which is not installed on an up-to-date patched VL 5.9 Std system. Information and download are available at http://vimgadgets.sourceforge.net/liblinebreak/.

I installed linebreak using ./configure, make, makepkg, installpkg but got the same error message as above. Any suggestions?
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 02:27:41 pm »

Have you checked were liblinebreak.so.1 has installed?

If it's not in /usr/lib then you may need to recompile using something like --prefix=/usr in the ./configure step like so:

./configure --prefix=/usr
tbrown

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 05:54:42 am »

I tried ./configure with and without --prefix=/usr. Rather than make install, I am using either checkinstall or makepkg. I issue the 'make clean' command between attempts.

With ./configure without --prefix=/usr and checkinstall, I get the following error.

========================= Installation results ===========================
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/tbrown/liblinebreak-1.2'
test -z "/usr/local/lib" || /usr/bin/mkdir -p "/usr/local/lib"
 /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/ginstall -c  'liblinebreak.la' '/usr/local/lib/liblinebreak.la'
/usr/bin/ginstall -c .libs/liblinebreak.so.1.0.2 /usr/local/lib/liblinebreak.so.1.0.2
(cd /usr/local/lib && { ln -s -f liblinebreak.so.1.0.2 liblinebreak.so.1 || { rm -f liblinebreak.so.1 && ln -s liblinebreak.so.1.0.2 liblinebreak.so.1; }; })
(cd /usr/local/lib && { ln -s -f liblinebreak.so.1.0.2 liblinebreak.so || { rm -f liblinebreak.so && ln -s liblinebreak.so.1.0.2 liblinebreak.so; }; })
/usr/bin/ginstall -c .libs/liblinebreak.lai /usr/local/lib/liblinebreak.la
/usr/bin/ginstall -c .libs/liblinebreak.a /usr/local/lib/liblinebreak.a
chmod 644 /usr/local/lib/liblinebreak.a
chmod: changing permissions of `/usr/local/lib/liblinebreak.a': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tbrown/liblinebreak-1.2'
make: *** [install-am] Error 2

****  Installation failed. Aborting package creation.

I issue the updatedb command as root, then the 'locate liblinebreak.a' command to find the missing file. Locate cannot find any file by that name except in /home/tbrown/liblinebreak-1.2/.libs/liblinebreak.a -- where the tarball unpacked.

If I 'make clean' and recompile with ./configure with --prefix=/usr, make and checkinstall, I get the following error.

========================= Installation results ===========================
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/tbrown/liblinebreak-1.2'
test -z "/usr/lib" || /usr/bin/mkdir -p "/usr/lib"
 /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/ginstall -c  'liblinebreak.la' '/usr/lib/liblinebreak.la'
/usr/bin/ginstall -c .libs/liblinebreak.so.1.0.2 /usr/lib/liblinebreak.so.1.0.2
(cd /usr/lib && { ln -s -f liblinebreak.so.1.0.2 liblinebreak.so.1 || { rm -f liblinebreak.so.1 && ln -s liblinebreak.so.1.0.2 liblinebreak.so.1; }; })
(cd /usr/lib && { ln -s -f liblinebreak.so.1.0.2 liblinebreak.so || { rm -f liblinebreak.so && ln -s liblinebreak.so.1.0.2 liblinebreak.so; }; })
/usr/bin/ginstall -c .libs/liblinebreak.lai /usr/lib/liblinebreak.la
/usr/bin/ginstall -c .libs/liblinebreak.a /usr/lib/liblinebreak.a
chmod 644 /usr/lib/liblinebreak.a
chmod: changing permissions of `/usr/lib/liblinebreak.a': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tbrown/liblinebreak-1.2'
make: *** [install-am] Error 2

****  Installation failed. Aborting package creation.

The file /usr/lib/liblinebreak.a is missing. Clearly, the install script is not moving liblinebreak.a to the correct destination or moving it at all. It also doesn't matter whether I run checkinstall as user tbrown or root. I get the same errors.

If I manually run "/usr/bin/ginstall -c .libs/liblinebreak.lai /usr/lib/liblinebreak.la" and "/usr/bin/ginstall -c .libs/liblinebreak.a /usr/lib/liblinebreak.a" and recompile, checkinstall finishes with the following notice.

Done. The new package has been saved to

/home/tbrown/liblinebreak-1.2/liblinebreak-1.2-i386-1.
 You can install it in your system anytime using:

installpkg liblinebreak-1.2-i386-1.

However, there is no liblinebreak-1.2-i386-1 (tlz or tgz)  file in the file system. Any ideas?

Tom
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 07:29:29 pm »

There is an e-book reader 'gutenpy' which I like for my needs. I pinched it from
Absolute Linux.

GutenPy
GutenPy makes it easier to find and read books from Project Gutenberg.
It has handy bookmarking, line numbering, and word definition lookups.
Its catalog browser can use simple or complex regular expression filters for
title, author, and subject, and allows you to create a booklist of wanted items
that can be saved and downloaded later.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: