VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 08:02:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: {SOLVED}CUPS asking for user name/password  (Read 5832 times)
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« on: August 30, 2009, 01:55:25 pm »

OK,...
this is probably a problem with CUPS, and not with Vector (or my printer).  I keep trying to set up my printer,..and each time, CUPS puts up a form requesting a username & a password.  I'm clueless.  Nothing works that I enter.

*Dell Optiplex GX270  (P4--2.8Ghz--512ram--160G hd) 
*HP Deskjet 870c  (works great with the "Foomatic + Gutenprint 5.0") (when I can set it up, that is).

Already enabled "parallel port" in the control center...CUPS has worked before (in other distros)
(printer is usually always automatically recognized & set-up in other distros).
CUPS is just acting weird with that username/password thingy (that I have NO clue what to put in).

very frustrating.   Sad
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 04:41:43 pm by nitehawk » Logged
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 03:57:34 pm »

Cups can only be configured by "root". Put in "root" for username and the password you set up for root in the
"password" field then hit "enter"

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 04:41:06 pm »

OK,..here's a "Homer Simpson" reaction,......."DOAH"!!!  Now that you mentioned it,...I remember that's the key.
Thanks for the info,...(and pardon me whilst I slip quickly and quietly out the side door with very red face,..)
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 10:10:33 pm »

It took me a while to recognise that was what was wanted, if you didn't see it you can bet loads of others didn't so by brining it up you have let others know what to do... thus a public service :-)
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 06:53:27 am »

OK,..here's a "Homer Simpson" reaction,......."DOAH"!!!  Now that you mentioned it,...I remember that's the key.
Thanks for the info,...(and pardon me whilst I slip quickly and quietly out the side door with very red face,..)

Such things have happened many times to me in the 8 years or so on linux. It always makes me want to crawl over into a corner and hide and mumble to myself for a while.

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:52:30 am »

Thanks, guys,....for the kind words & helping me to "save face".    Grin
Printer all set up--and ready for duty! (gee, I like Vector).
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 01:11:01 pm »

LOL?

it's funny how \r and \n should be double escaped and it seems they weren't, so 'rn' got printed (Just guessing, so maybe I'm wrong)

What I find strange is that VeteDiva70 has posted 2 other posts before that seemed fairly sane, and btw he/she/it hasn't posted any link.

A new kind of pseudo-intelligent bot?  My friends, future is now.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: