VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 01:53:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Evenin' all  (Read 1567 times)
Chuggly

« on: September 15, 2009, 03:17:38 pm »

Hi all
Completely new to Vector Linux.
I have been an Ubuntu user for several years and had to do no configuration at all.

I need a change and  a challenge, so having dumped Windows and now Ubuntu,
I will be throwing myself at your mercy when I bu**er it up!!!!!

Regards
Tim
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 06:21:25 pm »

A hearty Welcome and you'll do just fine here at Vector. There are some very knowledgeable people lurking here, so be careful who you make friends with. Roll Eyes

Bjrnarlinux

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 08:20:59 pm »

Welcome to Vector!

Life is Beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.

Leon Trotskys last words
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 08:30:46 pm »

Welcome aboard! Smiley

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 07:59:08 am »

Hi Tim

I think you've made a great choice if you want to learn more about Linux and have fun in the process. When people ask me why I chose Vector I usually say "Because it's easy but not too easy". By that I mean you can get a basic system up and running very quickly and there are many applications in the reps, but sooner or later you'll need to stray outside the official repositories and maybe even (gasp) compile the odd program or two. And while there are lots of GUI configuration tools available it's sometimes just quicker and easier to edit text configuration files directly. In the process you'll learn a lot about Linux in general.

So, welcome on board and fire away with those questions, the people on this forum are great and have got me and others out of many tight corners.

Andy
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 12:29:02 am »

Hi Tim

I think you've made a great choice if you want to learn more about Linux and have fun in the process. When people ask me why I chose Vector I usually say "Because it's easy but not too easy". By that I mean you can get a basic system up and running very quickly and there are many applications in the reps, but sooner or later you'll need to stray outside the official repositories and maybe even (gasp) compile the odd program or two. And while there are lots of GUI configuration tools available it's sometimes just quicker and easier to edit text configuration files directly. In the process you'll learn a lot about Linux in general.

So, welcome on board and fire away with those questions, the people on this forum are great and have got me and others out of many tight corners.

Andy

The best answer to "why VL" I've read so far! Correct in every aspect!

VL Light 6.0 (Final built, 31/03/09, kernel 2.6.27.12).
Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
Registered Linux User no. 495460
Oh no! -> Tropic of Vector
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: