VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 12:11:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Packaging newbie  (Read 5907 times)
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« on: September 17, 2009, 04:00:04 am »

So I decided to try and start packaging for VL.

As there are a number of documents and threads around this complex and I think I've read most of them and still aren't sure, I'll just post this here, feel free to move it anywhere else more appropriate.

A few questions:

1) Say I've searched the forum for an app that I didn't find and will try to package. Where should I post which app I will attempt to package? This would be in order to avoid overlapping build attempts.

2) Should I search for packages in other places than the repo (http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/packages/ + http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/testing/) before attempting to build it?

3) If I managed to build the package (let's see if I get there at all;)), where would I post it? Toothandnail seems to post about any new packages in the testing repo, so should I send him a PM or something?

4) NExt step: somebody will upload my package (etc.) to the repo???

5) The next step would be test phase I guess: community members will try to download my package and test it on their systems?

6) Anything else I should keep in mind?

Cheers!
Stephan

VL Light 6.0 (Final built, 31/03/09, kernel 2.6.27.12).
Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
Registered Linux User no. 495460
Oh no! -> Tropic of Vector
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:06:45 am »

I've done a few packages but still consider myself very much a packaging newbie.

1)  I asked the same thing a while ago and at that time, it seemed there wasn't a consistent way to find out if someone is working on something you're interested in packaging. I guess whoever finishes it first wins. Wink

2)  Always search five places in the repo to see if the package is already there. Those would be the standard four plus testing. There is also an unstable repo but I've never looked there. Maybe something problematic and thus in progress would be there. I guess I should check it out. If an older version of a package is in the repo, feel free to package a newer version. You can probably reuse the SlackBuild script for the old package after a few tweaks.

3)  Packages have to be built according to definite rules in order to be acceptable for the repos. Contact JohnB316 by personal message and find out what you have to do. You'll get instructions for submitting your package to the packagers board (a private section just for packagers).

4)  After your package is submitted and inspected to make sure everything needed is included, it will be posted to testing.

5)  If there is no negative feedback, the package will be moved out of testing and into the general repos.

6)  The fundamental thing about packaging is that you *must* build a package on a clean box. That means VectorLinux 6 Light (preferably) as it comes out of the box with no additional programs that might add libraries to the library paths or other dependencies. Also no proprietary drivers (such as NVidia or ATi proprietary drivers). Updating packages already in the out-of-the-box installation is okay. So you pretty much need either a separate partition or a separate computer for packaging. If you package on a "dirty" box, compiling can create fake dependencies that could install unnecessary things on people's computers. The slapt-get system pulls down necessary dependencies when the package is installed, and those dependencies should be NECESSARY and not fake.

Check out the excellent video tutorials at http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/VLpackaging/page and you'll see what's involved.

I look forward to seeing you on the packagers board.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:27:26 am »

A few additions

1) there's a packagers forum where you can post when you're working on something. It's only for users labeled as 'packagers'.

2) an easier way is enabling all vl6 repos (extra, packages and testing IIRC)  in your slapt-getrc file.  then just slapt-get --search XYZ. if it's not there, it means we don't have it.  Remember slapt-get --update frequently .

3) if you want, you can contact any active packager and send him/her your first packages.  Experienced packagers can give you some hints and will examine your first packages. 

henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 03:41:16 am »

A quick thanks for your answers!

I've exclusively installed VL Light 6.0 on an old laptop so it's definitely a clean system Smiley.

I'll have a look at stretchedthin's screencast and follow your instructions as well and then I'll probably try and do an "easy" package with just one tarball and as few dependencies as possible for a test. It might not be something ultra-useful to everyone out there, but I think it's probably a good start.

Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 09:27:41 am »

I'll have a look at stretchedthin's screencast and follow your instructions as well and then I'll probably try and do an "easy" package with just one tarball and as few dependencies as possible for a test. It might not be something ultra-useful to everyone out there, but I think it's probably a good start.

There are lots of packages that are a matter of ./configure && make install , so default script generated by sbbuilder will work out of the box. I only have to fill the documentation part for most of my packages.

And yes, that's the way to go. Start easy, and increase difficulty little by little.

Btw, Welcome to the packaging world, and thanks!

henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 10:37:41 am »

I've packaged my first app: gtkperf, a GTK+ performance testing tool. I've attached the zipped package file and would be happy if anybody considered testing it Smiley.

Thanks, all!

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 04:37:09 pm »

Hi henryxcrudos!

The application works very well. Congratulations!
Two minor comments:

Looks like the compiling process is generating a docs dir, and SlackBuild is also doing one:

Code:
|-- gtkperf-0.4.0-i586-1vl60.tlz
|-- install
|   |-- slack-desc
|   `-- slack-required
`-- usr
    |-- bin
    |   `-- gtkperf
    |-- doc
    |   |-- gtkperf
    |   |   |-- AUTHORS
    |   |   |-- COPYING
    |   |   |-- ChangeLog
    |   |   |-- INSTALL
    |   |   |-- README
    |   |   `-- TODO
    |   `-- gtkperf-0.4.0
    |       |-- AUTHORS
    |       |-- COPYING
    |       |-- ChangeLog
    |       |-- README
    |       |-- TODO
    |       `-- gtkperf.SlackBuild
    `-- share
        `-- pixmaps
            `-- duck.png

8 directories, 17 files

I think the files in usr/doc/gtkperf are generated by the application itself, while the SlackBuild generates usr/doc/gtkperf-0.4.0
You can delete the first dir or just move the files to usr/doc/gtkperf-0.4.0

If you have a direct link to the sources, please feed it in the $LINK variable at the top of the SlackBuild or use --link with sbbuilder. In that way will be easier for others to replicate your package or reuse the script later (for example, rebuilding for the 64bits architecture.)

Traditionally the graphical applications ship a .desktop file that provides an entry for the menu. However this is not mandatory, sometimes the custom is to launch an application from the command line. I never used this app before but if it is usually launched from the menu a .desktop file should be provided. The latest sbbuilder version has a --xdesktop option that places a template for you in the SlackBuild for a regular .desktop file. You have to edit it as needed. Another way is to place the .desktop file with the source and copy it into the proper location from the script.
If in doubt, just provide a menu entry.

Good work, and thanks for your contribution Smiley

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 05:13:23 pm »

Congradulations on your first build.

As rbistolfi pointed our you are generating docs in two locations....
Code:
/usr/doc/gtkperf-0.4.0
/usr/doc/gtkperf-0.4.0/TODO
/usr/doc/gtkperf-0.4.0/README
/usr/doc/gtkperf-0.4.0/gtkperf.SlackBuild
/usr/doc/gtkperf-0.4.0/AUTHORS
/usr/doc/gtkperf-0.4.0/ChangeLog
/usr/doc/gtkperf-0.4.0/COPYING
/usr/doc/gtkperf
/usr/doc/gtkperf/TODO
/usr/doc/gtkperf/README
/usr/doc/gtkperf/AUTHORS
/usr/doc/gtkperf/INSTALL
/usr/doc/gtkperf/ChangeLog
/usr/doc/gtkperf/COPYING

The other concern is that the install is not sending the png image to /usr/share/pixmaps/
and is not sending the .desktop file to /usr/share/applications/
so your application is not showing up in the menu.

The is a section in the sbbuilder slackbuild that looks like this...
#######################################################################
#Miscellenious tweaks and things outside a normal ./configure go here #
#######################################################################

#mkdir -p $PKG/usr/share/applications
#cp $CWD/$NAME.desktop $PKG/usr/share/applications/$NAME.desktop
#mkdir -p $PKG/usr/share/pixmaps
#cp $CWD/$NAME.png $PKG/usr/share/pixmaps/$NAME.png

Take out the # from in front of each line and make sure you have a copy of the .png and the .desktop file in the same directory as the slackbuild file when you run it.

Welcome to packaging, bring friends Grin
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 05:15:33 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 01:00:42 am »

Hi & thanks for your help and hints,

I'll make sure to fix these issues. I'll post an updated version of the package over at the packaging forum once that's done.

Yet another bunch of things to learn, looking forward to it Smiley!

henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 09:08:22 am »

Hi,

I DO have another questions concerning this after all Wink:

Looks like the compiling process is generating a docs dir, and SlackBuild is also doing one:

Code:
|-- gtkperf-0.4.0-i586-1vl60.tlz
|-- install
|   |-- slack-desc
|   `-- slack-required
`-- usr
    |-- bin
    |   `-- gtkperf
    |-- doc
    |   |-- gtkperf
    |   |   |-- AUTHORS
    |   |   |-- COPYING
    |   |   |-- ChangeLog
    |   |   |-- INSTALL
    |   |   |-- README
    |   |   `-- TODO
    |   `-- gtkperf-0.4.0
    |       |-- AUTHORS
    |       |-- COPYING
    |       |-- ChangeLog
    |       |-- README
    |       |-- TODO
    |       `-- gtkperf.SlackBuild
    `-- share
        `-- pixmaps
            `-- duck.png

8 directories, 17 files

I think the files in usr/doc/gtkperf are generated by the application itself, while the SlackBuild generates usr/doc/gtkperf-0.4.0
You can delete the first dir or just move the files to usr/doc/gtkperf-0.4.0

I can see what happens: the usr/doc/gtkperf-0.4.0 dir is created by the slackbuild. And I totally agree it would be good to have that usr/doc/ dir rather than a usr/doc/ dir simply called "gtkperf"...

But how would I be able to delete the "simple" dir created by the ./configure script of the app? It is only created once I install the package?

I could simply comment out the mkdir commands, etc. in the SlackBuild for the gtkperf-0.4.0 dir, but then we'd be left with the less informative /usr/doc/gtkperf dir...

Many thanks for any further hints Wink.

Cheers
hXc

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 09:12:20 am »

add a line in your slackbuild
Code:
rm -r $PKG/usr/doc/gtkperf/
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 09:34:00 am »

add a line in your slackbuild
Code:
rm -r $PKG/usr/doc/gtkperf/

Thanks for your quick reply! I couldn't get my head round it, but that makes sense: removing the temporary gtkperf dir before it gets packaged into the tlz. THANKS!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: