VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 09:19:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Opera quirk ? > RESOLVED  (Read 3182 times)
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« on: September 18, 2009, 12:01:29 pm »

Hi all,
 Opera will not render the icons for distros on distrowatch. What needs adjusting ?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 05:11:53 pm by flip city » Logged

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 12:25:36 pm »

Opera will not render the icons for distros on distrowatch. What needs adjusting ?

They show on my system (currently using VL6 Light). Make sure Show Images is the setting (lower right of the status bar or View menu, Images). If it's on Cached Images or No Images, you won't see the icons. Make sure you're using Author Mode for your style sheets (View menu, Style).

Also check the right-click Context menu, Block content, to make sure the icons didn't somehow get blocked.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 02:15:56 pm »

Checked as advised; still no go...here's a screenshot
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 02:18:37 pm by flip city » Logged

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 03:36:53 pm »

It's a long shot but do are you sure you have libpng installed? If so, are you updated to the x.35 version on the repo?
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 05:32:14 pm »

HEY newt,
 version of opera is 9.03.

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 05:52:12 pm »

My mistake: I was actually referencing the version of libpng in the repository being x.35.  Although, now that you mention it, there should be newer versions of opera in the repo as well - 9.03 is pretty old.
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 10:25:03 pm »

Updated to Opera 10...same results... Undecided
also am using libpng 1.2.37.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 10:28:22 pm by flip city » Logged

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 03:37:50 am »

Opera makes really easy to disable image loading (for a superfast and non-ads browsing). Maybe you pressed the wrong shortcut without paying attention.

If they haven't changed it, ctrl-b will show you a list of all shortcuts. then search for something related to image loading.

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 07:56:02 am »

View/Images should show you the various options Granny mentioned.  From your screenshot it sure seems to be showing at least _some_ images so I wouldn't think you've changed to 'no images'; perhaps it got set to 'cached images' accidentally.

Again, another long shot would be to clean your disk cache (tools/preferences/advanced/history) and see if that helps.

Can you go directly to an image and view it? In other words, can you see the image here: http://distrowatch.com/images/icon-large/puppy.png
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 09:12:26 am »

View/Images should show you the various options Granny mentioned.  From your screenshot it sure seems to be showing at least _some_ images so I wouldn't think you've changed to 'no images'; perhaps it got set to 'cached images' accidentally.

Again, another long shot would be to clean your disk cache (tools/preferences/advanced/history) and see if that helps.

Can you go directly to an image and view it? In other words, can you see the image here: http://distrowatch.com/images/icon-large/puppy.png

OK ... I have the disk cache to clear on each exit.
NO... I cannot view the image in your link...I get a forbidden message.

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 09:18:56 am »

NO... I cannot view the image in your link...I get a forbidden message.
I'm now getting the same forbidden message, so maybe this wasn't the best test. I was able to directly view it before but not now.

Unfortunately, I do not seem to be able to help with the troubles you're having. Do you have these image-displaying troubles with other browsers (dillo, hv3, seamonkey, firefox, etc)? Also, if you happen to have other systems in your home it would be good to check and see if they have similar problems.

Hopefully someone else with other - better - ideas will come along with suggestions.  If I think of anything else I'll certainly let you know.
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 09:28:34 am »

Your concern is appreciated. Firefox, Seamonkey, dillo, are OK with the exception of the new FF. On some, not all web pages, FF smudges images. It's nice to have an array of different browsers for times like this, huh? My guess is that I need some obscure package that these browsers rely on. However that should have been solved in dependancies, right? So...thanks

N.moikeno

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 08:57:13 am »

Please tell me if you get an answer to the opera question. I have had i in my 6300 but the new 6303 wont allow it and I am forece to use the original browser.  thanks, Dan
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 11:04:43 am »

This is a suggestion to test the users opera config directory:

Option 1) Can a different user, on the same system, using opera, view distrowatch correctly? In other words, try create a new user on the problematic system, and then see if that user can correctly view distrowatch.  If they can then perhaps it's just a config directory problem (~/.opera) which should be easy to rectify on your main user account.

Option 2) The other option is, which opera closed, rename your ~/.opera directory to something else (e.g. .opera_old). Then start up opera and see if the problem still persists. If it doesn't then the problem lies somewhere in the opera config directory; if it does then you can close opera, remove the new config directory, and move your .opera_old back to .opera.

----------

There's also the possibility that it's a global configuration setting. I believe that when opera is installed it asks the user where or not to use global preferences which get installed somewhere in /etc, and this is what's presented by default. Perhaps moving these preference files to a backup location and restarting Opera to test (similarly to above) could prove fruitful; if not, then you can put back the original preference files.

Hope this helps, or gets some other ideas going.

One more: Try starting opera from the console and look to see if any messages are displayed (i.e. warnings, errors, missing dependency messages, etc).
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 12:40:49 pm »

Do you see icons on other Web sites with Opera? Is it just distrowatch?

I know there can be quirks with Opera. On my original installation of VL6 Standard Deluxe, Opera can't display Flash. I tried *everything* to fix this: completely removed and reinstalled Opera, renamed ~/.opera, replaced all Opera files with those from a working version on another partition of the same computer. Nothing worked. So I finally bit the bullet and installed VL6 Deluxe on a different partition, same computer. Flash works fine there.

I renamed the partition where Flash doesn't work with Opera to VL6bad. Flash works fine with Firefox and SeaMonkey there. Opera is the only browser with a problem.

The other day I upgraded Opera on that partition to version 10 to see if Flash would start working again. No go. It still is broken and Firefox and SeaMonkey remain fine with Flash. That's the only peculiarity I've found on VL6bad. Oh well. Sometimes I use that partition to test out something before I install it on my VL6 partition.

Maybe you have some situation like that (as to why distrowatch icons won't display).
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: