VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 07:32:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Openbox?  (Read 2052 times)
CrazyDog

« on: September 18, 2009, 08:22:03 pm »

I use VL as my current distro and have for awhile, but I still read up on others.  I noticed a distro called Crunchbang, an Ubuntu derivative that uses a windows manager called Openbox.  I have not tried this distro due to the fact that I do not like Ubuntu or the distros that spin off of it.  However, the reviews on this particular distro claim that this file manager is very quick.  I know next to nothing about the subject, but I would like to know if this type of setup has ever been used with VL?  I really want to bounce some ideas of of the more knowledgeable folks here as I would like to see Vector be more of a first line distro for people to try.  I also want it to have a clear direction - if that is speed, then perhaps, if not tried before, this could help?   Just curious, and thanks for reading my posts and for the best distro.

CrazyDog
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 08:35:23 pm »

I use crunchbang as a change of pace and it is a very very good linux distro. Openbox is very plain, no eyecandy, just text. It is customizable and quick and unobtrusive. Very lightweight application. I rather like it. I'm not sure if Vector really needs it since xfce and lxde seem more than adequate and compliment Vector well. But everything is negotiable.
I really don't agree that it is faster than other light weight DE's. If it is it is hardly noticeable. It's minimalistic theme blends well with the minimalistic crunchbang concept.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 10:22:44 pm by flip city » Logged

CrazyDog

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 09:05:24 pm »

FlipCity - Thanks for your reply.  I just didn't know if it had been tried - or if it would enhance the distro.  Thanks again.
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 11:18:15 pm »

Gotta disagree though if you think that Vector or for that matter crunchbang aren't first line distros ! Both have been extremely stable in my day to day useage and I value that dearly. Not a mediocre selection of applications which run well to boot ! While I'm at it I'll throw in Fedora, though it needs a little love on the multimedia configuration. Linux will engage you, not for the complacent.
 The vision of the Vector team is clear and the future will only bring an OS to the masses that reflects the intuition and dedication of the VL community.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 11:30:55 pm by flip city » Logged

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 12:59:26 am »

If you want, you can try openbox in VL.  it's in the repos, so it's  a slapt-get away and VL light comes with openbox installed IIRC.

But openbox has nothing to do with any file manager.  If you find out which file manager have crunchbang devs put there, we'll try to put it in the repos (if we don't already have).

CrazyDog

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 03:53:22 pm »

FlipCity - Thanks for your reply.  I am happy to say that VL is the only distro I use.  I greatly admire and am grateful for all of the hard work that goes into making it part of my life.  I guess I am clueless, though, as to what the "vision" is.  It can't be just for low-spec machines - it is so much more than that.  I have a relatively new laptop and use it because it is blazingly fast, stable, and gives everything I could want in a distro.  Just trying to find ways to "spread the word".  Perhaps I should leave that to the more technically inclined.

Kidd - Thanks for the info on Openbox.  I like XFCE and will most likely stay with it.  Was just trying to figure out what the main goals are for the future.  I guess I just don't ever want the distro to just "disappear" one day.
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 05:12:53 pm »

Hi again crazydog,
 I am not a VL insider, and I can only offer my opinion. The vision to me is summed up in the final product. Their vision has allowed them to survive through a challenging market, (no small feat) and they have developed a top-notch product. As we spread the word in our spheres of influence, VL will continue to attract more aficionados. I like you am here to stay; and I'm betting that so are the VL team. Wink

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 06:00:38 pm »

The vision for VectorLinux is set out at www.vectorlinux.com:
"Speed, performance, stability -- these are attributes that set VectorLinux apart in the crowded field of Linux distributions.The creators of VectorLinux had a single credo: keep it simple, keep it small and let the end user decide what their operating system is going to be."

"Simple" and "small" are moving targets, but it's always a goal to provide a base on which the user can build whatever kind of system he/she desires. Nevertheless, a default installation provides a complete system, so it's not like starting from Square One.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
CrazyDog

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 07:21:22 pm »

GrannyGeek - Thanks for your answer.  It made a lot of sense.   Grin
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 10:22:39 pm »

One more item of related interest http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl60/manuals/vl6_desktops_en.html

CrazyDog

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 05:02:51 pm »

FlipCity - Thanks for the info.  Now I feel like a real dummy! Roll Eyes  I looked under "session" and found several DE's - including Openbox, etc.  So the VL team is on top of things.  Thanks again-
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: