VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 01:01:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux on Powerbook Help Please  (Read 990 times)
tomh38
Vectorian

« on: September 20, 2009, 12:48:12 pm »

Okay, so somebody is giving me another laptop.  This one is a circa 2003 Powerbook (the last one was a Dell Latitude D610).  With the last one, I just put the most recent version of VL on it and gave it to a college kid I know.  She's still using it, and occasionally calls me with questions about how to do this or that with Linux, though over all things seem to be going well.

Some of you might know that I don't like laptops (for myself - I have no objection to other people using them, naturally).  So I'm going to want to give this one away also.

Since this one is PPC and not x86, I can't just put my favorite distro (VL!) on it and hand it over to somebody.  I need to find a good (hopefully, the best) Linux distribution for this hardware and put that on it.  Does anybody in here have any experience with Linux on pre-Intel Apple hardware?  I know there are a few distributions out there, including an unofficial Slackware (Slackintosh). 

I don't know how much RAM this machine has or anything else about it, since I haven't actually received it yet.  Still, I'm wondering:  does anybody have a recommendation of what to put on it?

Thanks,
Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 07:49:12 pm »

I have an old ppc imac that is running slackintosh.
I installed all the VL-noarch packages and some VL themes and you cant tell that it is not VL.

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 05:03:15 am »

Thanks uelsk8s!  Both things (about Slackintosh and about the VL stuff which is compatible) are good to know.  Once I get this machine I'll let you know how things go.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: