VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 08:31:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installation problem with VL  (Read 1235 times)
drrdf

« on: September 10, 2009, 12:54:04 pm »

Hi, I am a newbie with Vector Linux. I have been attempting to install Vector Linux on an older PC. I have tried VL 5.9 Light, 5.9 standard, 6.0 Light and 6.0 standard, all without success.  The situation is the same every time. I have set the partitions correctly using cfdisk with a swap partition of just over twice the size of RAM. When the installation starts it all looks good, and a message "Installation of veclinux.tlz is complete" appears. Then suddenly shortly after that an error message is displayed "Cannot extract required veclinux.tlz. Maybee the file is corrupt, or the partition is full. The current installation is in an unknown state." The partitions are completely empty in fact.

I have used the same ISO CDs to install VL on another more modern PC and that works without any problems, so I know the CDs are not corrupted. I have also been able to install Puppy Linux, Slackware and Zenwalk on this older PC without any installation problems, so I know the PC hardware is OK, except that there may be compatibility issues with it?

The PC has a K6 AMD/2/500Mhz cpu, a FIC motherboard, 256 Mb RAM, Nvidia 32 Mb G Force MX graphics card, 30 Gb master ide hard drive for Vector Linux only (no other OS), a 30 Gb slave hd (empty), a DVD RW drive and a CD RW drive. Can anyone please suggest what this installation problem is and why V L will not install?
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 04:02:28 pm »

There are only 3 possibilities for that sort of error:

1) the CD ISO is invalid. I assume you checked it with md5sum and burned at a slow speed?
2) your partition on which you are installing root (/) is too small
3) your hard drive is faulty.

Boot any Live Linux CD, open a terminal and show us the output to "fdisk -l" run as root.
Also show us the output to: "dmesg | grep -i error"

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 04:11:58 am »

I've had the same error with a newly burnt VL Light 6.0 ISO CD-R. I simply used another VL Light 6.0 ISO CD-R that I had from another install (what a waste of resources, eh) and it worked fine then. Try and burn another ISO...

VL Light 6.0 (Final built, 31/03/09, kernel 2.6.27.12).
Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
Registered Linux User no. 495460
Oh no! -> Tropic of Vector
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 05:19:02 am »

I have read about problems with K6 cpu's before. Believe they are not fully i686 compatible. Try something older, like DSL, and see how it does.
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 10:19:03 am »

I've been running 6.0 Light on a computer with an AMD K6 300mhz processor and I haven't have any problems but maybe certain K6's don't work.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
drrdf

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 12:45:58 pm »

Hi guys, I determined the situation eventually. I could not get any version of Vector to install on that older PC. It seems to be a matter of the kernel relative to the actual version of the K6 cpu and BIOS which is the problem. I had similar difficulties with various other Linux OSs which on the surface looked as if they might be suitable. Although I got quite a few to install none of them worked with all functions.

Then I discovered that there was a new version of Puppy Linux (4.3). This worked out of the box with this PC. Everything worked properly including usb, avis and video playback. So the latest Puppy seems to be answer for older PCs, and this evidently is because they still use an early kernel, which thus works with older PCs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: