Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: passwords do not work - Corrupt file?  (Read 780 times)

passwords do not work - Corrupt file?
« on: September 24, 2009, 07:34:34 am »

I have just changed the hard drive on my M700 and decided to do a fresh install (dual boot with Windows). After the first reboot I needed to run vxconf from text.

I typed su and it asked for the password. I have used the correct password but it does not work, it just says incorrect password. I have now tried many times. I have also tried to login as a user to see if that password will work, but it does not.

I think I will just reinstall. However, for reference, is is possible for passwords to become corrupt? If so what would be a way of sorting the problem

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: passwords do not work - Corrupt file?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 07:52:02 am »

You said you changed the hard drive.
There are a couple of possible scenarios, but the most likely is probably the following.

* The location of the drives changed in the process.
This means that what you used to have as /dev/hda is now /dev/hdb or something else...

If this happened, then your /etc/fstab needs to be adjusted so that your /home partition is mounted.

If you are not familiar with partitioning and /etc/fstab, the easiest way out is to reinstall if you dont mind losing the data.
Otherwise, I would boot a live cd to find out the new locations of the partitions, and then simply modify the /etc/fstab for my vl install. That should do it

Re: passwords do not work - Corrupt file?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 09:30:46 am »

Thanks for the help. It was a fresh install rather than moving an existing version.

Reinstalling did the trick.

Thanks for the quick reply