VectorLinux
April 20, 2014, 03:54:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Please HELP New to Ubuntu can't get Wireless WORKING@!  (Read 4535 times)
frank1e

« on: September 24, 2009, 08:09:36 am »

Ok im using newest version of ubuntu. My wireless adapter is Us robotics 5426.  No linux drivers. I did some reading and found out I should have to use some program called ndisgtk, ndiswrapper-common and ndiswrapper-utils.
       I finally learned how to install those in the terminals. Using what I think was the newest verisons I could find. So it installed correctly and I now had the option of choosing a windows *.inf file for the wireless driver.
     Now first off I would like to say that when I goto the terminal and type lsusb it does NOT show my wireless adapter which is a usb device,. It shows my mouse, my gamepad, my printer but does not show my wireless adapter. Do not know why.
      When I uses sudo ndiswrapper -i driver.inf or even when I used the graphical interface from ndisgtk I tried choosing my inf file for my us robotics 5426 driver but it wouldn't work. Believe it told me that it was the incorrect driver or something. I also tried several other drivers for similar us robotics usb wireless devices but they didnt work either. The main inf file I was using was ndisdwm.inf. And in the same directory also was ndiswdm.sys. 
       Please any helpm greatly appreciated obviously I will not be able to use ubuntu and learn anything until I can get my wireless adapter working it is frustrating.  It even recognizes my pci networkadapter.  I know that a big part of the problem must be in the fact that when I type lsusb it lists all my usb devices EXCEPT my usb wireless adapter. Why is this?  Please help guys I've been researching and trying different things for 2 days and no luck.
    Also I tried http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader which I guess is another way to use windows drivers in linux? I was able to start the install but when it gets to the browser stage and has me log in as root with a password it then tells me it can't download archive.bz2. Not sure why it's tyring to downloadd that since the internet isnt even working yet. Thanks for any help you can also email me at frankie31337@gmail.com or contact me on xfire at frankie31337.
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 08:39:38 am »

Uhhhh...You might try the ubuntu forum.

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 08:53:39 am »

gamfa is correct. Vector Linux is not an debian/ubuntu-derived distro - it's actually based on slackware which is significantly different. You would probably get better support on the ubuntu forums.

From the little bit of looking around I did it sure seems like that wireless adapter can prove problematic on linux, in general.  I think you're on the right track with ndiswrapper.  I remember using ndiswrapper with a wireless device of mine and it was very picky about which driver and version of driver I used. You should first make sure you're using the Windows XP driver files, and then track down as many versions of the driver that you can and try each one-by-one.

BTW, what is the output from 'lsusb'? I've seen posts indicating that "ID 4317:0700" identifies the usb adapter but cannot confirm the accuracy of this.

Do you notice a difference in output of 'ndiswrapper -l' from before inserting the driver to after inserting the driver?
frank1e

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 10:05:01 am »

I will go run lsusb when I get a chance and tell you what the ID is.  It basically lists the different USB ports and then next to whatever USB port it says "Canon Printer" or "Razer Mouse" but never has one that lists my USB Wireless Adapter.
      One odd thing that just happened to me is that I ran ndiswrapper -i wdmdis.inf and it actually accepted the driver and then after running ndisgtk (gui version of the driver deal i think) it actually accepted the driver and even said hardware funcitoning properly or somehting of the sort.  So I guess I may have installede the correct driver but the adapter is sitll not listed in lsusb and in the network manager dealy in the top left corner of my computer it still doesnt list any wireless connection option. Just a greyed out wired conneciton option and something about auto etho which Im guessing is a regular lan network setup.  Linux is really hard to use. Or not so much hard as it is frustrating having to deal with all these dang incompatibilities. You'd think with open source and so many people adding to it that you'd have linux drivers for every piece of hardwrae you could think of.
     I havent tried ndiswrapper -l (is that an L?) what is that comand?
      Sorry if I had the wrong forum im very very new to this.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 10:32:04 am »

No worries about being in not_the_most_distro_specific forum, we're suckers and will help anyone Grin

Yes, that is an 'L' and it will list the currently installed ndiswrapper drivers. So, if it seems like your driver was accepted/loaded you could then -l(ist) the drivers to see if it's actually the case. If ndiswrapper lists your driver then you should check 'ifconfig -a' and 'iwconfig' for their output (iwconfig should list a device with wireless capabilities) - come to think of it you should check those items before and after inserting the driver into ndiswrapper just to see how they differ.

It's possible that 'lsusb' is actually showing your wireless device without any kind of textual name - just the ID number (4317:0700). That's why I asked if that ID is listed.

Linux is different than windows to use. Harder at times but easier at times - then there is the learning curve. As with anything technical and new, the learning curve seems hard but once you can start getting on top of the hill it becomes much easier (relatively speaking).

The problem with hardware is that it's manufactured by private companies using whatever methods they choose, and those methods aren't always published. If the method is not published, or purposefully kept secret, then the open-source community has to __guess__ at how to support a piece of hardware. The community as a whole has done a great job at supporting as much hardware as possible given the circumstances. Unfortunately, there are plenty of hardware left to support. On the flip side, Windows Vista and 7 have plenty of hardware support issues to deal with themselves. So, overall, we're in the ballpark - just a different part of the field.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 10:34:32 am by newt » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 05:54:00 pm »

Uhhhh...You might try the ubuntu forum.

Ya, it would be better if this question is posted in the ubuntu forum.......
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 06:07:37 pm »

Well, I take what I said about "we'll help anyone".  I guess I should have said that _I'll_ gladly help anyone if I can.  The wonderful thing about linux is that it is all based around the same concept and kernel, and those concepts carry over from distro to distro in a pretty substantial way - yes there are differences but it's still the same game.  I'm still glad to try to assist you with your problem to the best of my knowledge, but let it be known that I am still a relative novice.

I wonder what kind of suggestions you would get if you were using a version of Vector Linux Huh
frank1e

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 04:41:08 am »

No worries about being in not_the_most_distro_specific forum, we're suckers and will help anyone Grin

Yes, that is an 'L' and it will list the currently installed ndiswrapper drivers. So, if it seems like your driver was accepted/loaded you could then -l(ist) the drivers to see if it's actually the case. If ndiswrapper lists your driver then you should check 'ifconfig -a' and 'iwconfig' for their output (iwconfig should list a device with wireless capabilities) - come to think of it you should check those items before and after inserting the driver into ndiswrapper just to see how they differ.

It's possible that 'lsusb' is actually showing your wireless device without any kind of textual name - just the ID number (4317:0700). That's why I asked if that ID is listed.

Linux is different than windows to use. Harder at times but easier at times - then there is the learning curve. As with anything technical and new, the learning curve seems hard but once you can start getting on top of the hill it becomes much easier (relatively speaking).

The problem with hardware is that it's manufactured by private companies using whatever methods they choose, and those methods aren't always published. If the method is not published, or purposefully kept secret, then the open-source community has to __guess__ at how to support a piece of hardware. The community as a whole has done a great job at supporting as much hardware as possible given the circumstances. Unfortunately, there are plenty of hardware left to support. On the flip side, Windows Vista and 7 have plenty of hardware support issues to deal with themselves. So, overall, we're in the ballpark - just a different part of the field.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try all that first chance I get. Been busy lately.  The idea that thee wireless device not being textually listed but the id # being listed will probably be a big help . 
ing from the topic (again) somewhat but why do you use linux Wondering what advantages it has over windows. I have always heard network wise it is much better. But what about say running standard applications and multi-tasking? Would it be slower or faster?  Just looking for your opinion on the matter. I grabbed windows 7 before linux. I liked it but like you say they have an equal amount of hardware issues right now.  I really like the complex in-depth nature of linux I just know so little about it right now/ So i guessz thats why Im wondering why or what exactly draws people to use it in the first place. I know  networking is better but what else? Hey thanks for all advice guys Smiley
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 09:27:29 am »

For me I feel linux puts me back in control of my computer rather ms being in control. The other thing I have noticed about linux, well Vector in particular, is that it doesn't matter what I want to do there is already an application that allows me to do it, command line or otherwise although I'm not sure I'll ever remember all those cli magic spells.

In terms of speed I feel that it varies from distro to distro and app to app. Ubuntu seems rather slow on my hardware whereas Vector feels fast and responsive. For multitasking I find WinXP stalls and stutters at times but Linux seems to run smoothly even when the CPU is pegged at 100%, I,m running a single core athlon XP 3200. Once you get to know Linux it becomes easier to use than XP although initially I found it rather frustrating but I think that was simply because it is so different to what I was used too.

Now I'm used to linux I can't see why I would ever go back to Windows.

Chris
frank1e

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 05:38:15 pm »

For me I feel linux puts me back in control of my computer rather ms being in control. The other thing I have noticed about linux, well Vector in particular, is that it doesn't matter what I want to do there is already an application that allows me to do it, command line or otherwise although I'm not sure I'll ever remember all those cli magic spells.

In terms of speed I feel that it varies from distro to distro and app to app. Ubuntu seems rather slow on my hardware whereas Vector feels fast and responsive. For multitasking I find WinXP stalls and stutters at times but Linux seems to run smoothly even when the CPU is pegged at 100%, I,m running a single core athlon XP 3200. Once you get to know Linux it becomes easier to use than XP although initially I found it rather frustrating but I think that was simply because it is so different to what I was used too.

Now I'm used to linux I can't see why I would ever go back to Windows.

Chris

And see I started wayyyy back before windows was even around using ms-dos. And I loved it when windows 95 came out it pretty much killed DOS and for a long time I couldnt stand wuindows. Of course after being forced to use it for so many years you eventually learn to like it.  So apparently I am in a vector linux forum? So what is this vector linux? Can anyone recommend a good linux distro to try? I dont care if its complicated or not I like a challenge.  So far I've only tried ubuntu and am not too sure about the difference between any of the distros.
frank1e

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 07:41:31 pm »

Hey man I went back and tried what you said. You were totally write it does find the device  4317:0700.  And also ndiswrapper -l does indeed list that the correct driver is installed! BUT when I do  iwconfig it doesn't show anything.  I don't know what to do next.  When I open the network connections at the top right and goto wireless networks I put in the SSID as 2WIRE767. I enter the correct encryption and password. It has a field for mac address but so far ive left that blank. Anyways it accepts all the info but at the same time never really gives me any option to connect to the wireless network. So im nmot sure whats going on. I think at this point I do have the correct driver installed using ndiswrapper but still cannot figure out how to make it actually connect to the network. Anymore help appreciated man once I can just get freakin linux to connect to the internternet my life and learning linus will be ten times easier cuz right now I have to switch between windows xp and linux when trying to get help.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 07:55:12 pm »

Here a some things to try.

Open a terminal (command prompt) and then type:

su

now enter root password.

Now type:

lsmod

NOTE: You are looking for a reference to ndiswrapper, if none exists you need to
get the module running. You can do this by typing:

modprobe ndiswrapper

Now use the command to check to see if the module is loaded, if not report back here. If
everything is up and running continue on, if not report back here.

ifconfig wlan0 up

NOTE: Your interface name could be different)

Now type:

ifconfig

Look to see if there are more entries than eth0 and Lo
If there is type:

iwlist scan

If there is a return that lists an A/P  you can try using Wicd to manage your
network settings.

If there is a failure somwhere let us know where and when the failure occurs.

Bigpaws
frank1e

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 11:26:29 pm »

Here a some things to try.

Open a terminal (command prompt) and then type:

su

now enter root password.

Now type:

lsmod

NOTE: You are looking for a reference to ndiswrapper, if none exists you need to
get the module running. You can do this by typing:

modprobe ndiswrapper

Now use the command to check to see if the module is loaded, if not report back here. If
everything is up and running continue on, if not report back here.

ifconfig wlan0 up

NOTE: Your interface name could be different)

Now type:

ifconfig

Look to see if there are more entries than eth0 and Lo
If there is type:

iwlist scan

If there is a return that lists an A/P  you can try using Wicd to manage your
network settings.

If there is a failure somwhere let us know where and when the failure occurs.

Bigpaws

Ok bud I been working on this all night and man I still can't get it working. I trioed all your suggestions. Let me see if I can ecxplain this at all.  I had ndwiswrapper and the correct driver installed. It even says driver present and device 4317:0700 working. But when I do iwconfig everything listed says no wireless extensions.  Thought that was kinda weird.  Ok so when I started trying to do things like ndiswrapper -v for the version and modprobe ndiswrapper I started getting different errors. Sometimes about an incompatible version and other times about some direcxtory not being there.  So it could be that Im using wrong versions of ndiswrapper?  Since I have to download everything from win xp and then reboot to linux its kinda tough. Everytime I go looking for ndiswrapper common and then the ndiswrapper utils there is like a million sdifferent versions! I dont know which ones to use. I install everything using the package manager so afr. Well  the dpkg command.  I was using ndiswarpper 1.54 with the ndiswrapper utils 1.53-1.9 thought those would be compatible but thats where I was getting the error emssages.  I really don't know.  Anymore suggestions?i  If you could show me exactly  which versions of ndiswrapper / util to dowenload maybe. Right now I have removed it completly from the software packager so I can start over.  And if you can tell me how to copy and paste the info from the terminal then maybe I could paste any info you need straight into the forum here if your willing to help.  If I could just ge tthis internet working I could handle the rest of the research as afr as setting up my lan and graphics and all that myself.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 05:27:03 am »

Doesn't look like your post in the Ubuntu forum is resolving much so far.  Sad

I may not be of much help, but a few thoughts:

In Ubuntu, you can save yourself some typing by entering "sudo su" in a terminal. Then you don't have to type "sudo" before each command. If you want to live dangerously and enable the root account, now just type "passwd" and assign a password. You can then type "su" in a regular terminal and give that password. Ubuntu advices against this, of course.

To paste into a terminal, use the paste command from the menu (other possible ways include key combination "Shift-Insert" or both mouse buttons simultaneously). You should also find a copy entry on the terminal menu.

If you have been using the scattergun approach and installing various drivers and utilities, hoping that something will eventually take, it is entirely possible that you now have software/driver/version conflicts that will be hard to resolve.

If you can connect a wired networking cable to your computer, things would be much easier. You could get on-line using Linux and work directly on it, instead of going back and forth between os's.

Try some LiveCD's and see if any of those pick up your wireless device. My obvious recommendation would be the VL6.0 Light LIVE version: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0-Light-Final.iso

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 06:15:12 am »

My recommendation would be that you download and install a REAL linux distribution: http://ftp://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0-Light-Final.iso

then if you have any further questions come back and let us answer them for you Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: