VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 10:03:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile Partner - Huawei 3G USB Modem - available for VL?  (Read 5794 times)
vans

« on: September 24, 2009, 10:30:33 am »

Mobile Partner is program used by the Aspire One Linux netbook with Huwawei usb 3G modems. It is downloaded direct from the Acer site and is used for mobile broadband. It contains the linux drivers as well as a connection interface.

Is there similar software that I can use with my Huwawwi modem under VL?

Thanks

(I seem to be asking a lot of questions over the last couple of days, sorry if this is annoying anyone)
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 06:02:40 pm »

What is the actual model of the modem? What version of VL you are using?
captina_sensible

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 04:30:18 am »

hi

the solution to getting internet access with a Huawei E220 USB mobile dongle has largely been solved; if i can do it anybody can. See this forum page :  http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=9443.0

i would like to tag on a question though that has not been answered yet; I can connect through chestnut in root mode using the Huawei dongle but can not connect as    a normal user. Do I change permissions , what do I do -as a beginner i have no idea.

Second question  i also want to learn how to connect to the internet  through a usb to ethernet adapter. Can I use the same process as on the link above , look for the relevant data and amend the usb_modeswitch.conf file? 

any pointers appreciated
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 10:02:17 am »

I am curious.  Why would one need a Huawei E220 USB mobile dongle or Huawei modem if s/he has wifi?  It apparently connects wireless to something or another other than wifi?

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 10:26:33 am »

It's used to connect to wireless service providers....cell phone networks...for high speed internet access. I use a Pantec usb modem for Verizon.

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
captina_sensible

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 12:20:48 pm »

Sledgehammer,

well I have panasonic cf-27's they have no wireless card, no direct ethernet port and only one usb port.

The question is getting internet access any suitable way taking into consideration what hook up is available where the cf-27 's are intended to be used -Ghana.

I might be able to set up a router( with wifi output from an asdl /phone line . Then I would need a usb wireless adapter, as a beginner this just gives me another problem ,how do i make it work with the laptop. I guess my first question should have been taking into account the laptop , what is easiest method of connecting an old laptop to the internet?

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 01:52:34 pm »

All of this is way over my head.  I don't have a cellphone.  But Skype together with my laptop sort of act as one, if I am near accessible wifi (such as a coffeeshop).  I use only VL6.0 on an old IBM T42.  It apparently has an internal wireless card as I don't do anything other than click on my wicd icon to get connected.

Modems, I thought, were gadgets which allowed access to the internet via a regular telephone line, an access means which, I also thought, was quite slow compared to wifi. 

I am likely spreading confusion and misinformation, so I will stop.  However, in my case, I didn't have to buy anything to get on the internet with wicd.  That's pretty cheap.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 06:45:49 pm »

Modems, I thought, were gadgets which allowed access to the internet via a regular telephone line, an access means which, I also thought, was quite slow compared to wifi.

They serve the same purpose but they access the internet through cell phone towers instead of hard wired telephone systems.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 06:52:21 pm by gamfa » Logged

gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 06:58:35 pm »

I doubt you would be able to operate through such an adapter. The modem gets it's power to transmit and receive through the usb port. I don't believe an ethernet port has power but I might be wrong.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: